PDA

View Full Version : Uneven tyre wear

Iain
16-07-06, 11:48 AM
Just noticed my tyres are wearing unevenly on my Nova! Been on since Christmas when they were nearly new.

Front left:
http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/left2.JPG

Front right:
http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/right2.JPG

Rear tyres are fine and wearing evenly. Is there something that would cause one tyre to wear quicker?

Thanks in advance guys. :thumb:

Mike
16-07-06, 11:52 AM
Tracking is out :thumb:

db_1.2
16-07-06, 11:55 AM
Woohooo i got those tyres!:p

dannyb
16-07-06, 11:55 AM
Fat girls riding up front
Only joking mate!! What size wheels have you got? Does the car get taken around roundabouts 'enthusiastically' as it is the nearside (left front) that takes a beating (along with wheelbearings etc). Is the balder tyre holding pressure correctly? Has the car been lowered and if so, you may want to get the alignment of the wheel checked out. Is the tyre wearing more on the inside (the bit nearest the car), the middle or the outside (nearest the curb) of the tyre? Does the car ever rub on lock as a result of lowering or big wheels?

Iain
16-07-06, 12:29 PM
lol Let me try answer those

15" alloys with 195/50/R15 tyres (the same as db_1.2's, wooohooo :P)
Roundabouts are sometimes taken enthusiastically, I wouldn't have thought 7 months of roundabouts would have worn through that much faster though
The suspect tyre holds pressure correctly
Lowered 40mm
Wears evenly across the tyre
Doesn't ever rub

I'll look in to getting the alignment/tracking sorted then 'cause I can't be buying one new tyre all the time. lol Cheers

TommySR
16-07-06, 06:02 PM
i know it sounds stupid but do you tend to spin the wheels or not? Cuz Novas tend to spin one wheel which would cause that tyre to wear quicker?

Iain
16-07-06, 08:02 PM
Think I've grown out of spinning the wheels lol Don't do that on purpose, nope.

Front tyres are on the back and vice versa, going to keep a close eye on the tyre wear. :)

leemh1234
17-07-06, 10:33 PM
check the suspension componants(sorry bout spellin)to see if anything is worn out.maybe bushes worn,tracking,incorrect tyre pressure.driving hard around roundabouts or the like.i'd say tyre pressures or tracking in my 15" astra wheels with 195/45/15 tyres i have 32-34 psi in the front then same in the back.never had a problem and mine was lowered 40mm and i didnt drive easy all the time.it was only a 1.0 ragged it for 70 miles a day

TommySR
17-07-06, 10:44 PM
Think I've grown out of spinning the wheels lol Don't do that on purpose, nope.

:thumb: didnt say you were just a suggestion lol

studaman21
17-07-06, 11:06 PM
camber angle?

Adam
17-07-06, 11:38 PM
Is it just my eyes, because i aint seeing any uneven tyre wear on those pics? :tard:

Edit-Ahh, do you mean one tyre is wearing quicker than the other?
I thought you mean half the tyre was wearing quicker than the other half,Lol.

Riggy
18-07-06, 09:40 AM
lol 7 months id be happy if mine lasted that long lol

Matt2107
18-07-06, 12:59 PM
With the stat of UK roads you'll probably get the tracking done... hit a few pot holes and knock it out again.

I think it's disgusting but thats a completely different thread.

Dar
18-07-06, 01:10 PM
Is it just my eyes, because i aint seeing any uneven tyre wear on those pics? :tard:

Edit-Ahh, do you mean one tyre is wearing quicker than the other?
I thought you mean half the tyre was wearing quicker than the other half,Lol.

Me too :tard: But you will always have the front tyres wearing more than the rears on a FWD car. That is why I swap my fronts and rears when the fronts are a few mm off of the wear bars:thumb: