PDA

View Full Version : Starting Trouble !Help!

TommySR
15-07-06, 12:23 PM
Engine is a C14SE (SRi) by the way...

Before my car went in for a rebuild the starter motor used to just click as if it was dead, but leave it for a few seconds then try again, and it would turn over fine.

Came to drive car back from rebuild and battery was flat, so ive bought a new battery and recently fitted a new starter motor which i got off a 1.2 Corsa from a scrappys. All was fine for awhile but now the engine refuses to start 90% of the time, the starter turns over and the battery is fully charged, it just turns over but does not fire up, eventually after a good few attempts the engine finally kicks into life but its as if it doesnt want to get going at all, could the 1.2 starter motor have anything to do with this? Need to try and solve it as its becoming really annoying on petrol station forecourts etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

TommySR
15-07-06, 01:20 PM
Car has recently had new plugs and leads aswell, anyone?

Adam
15-07-06, 05:45 PM
If the starter motor is turning the engine over, then obviously its fine.

TommySR
16-07-06, 05:29 PM
yes but why is the engine not firing up?

craig0120
16-07-06, 07:04 PM
is it running ok once started?

Philsutton
16-07-06, 07:07 PM
Car has recently had new plugs and leads aswell, anyone?

stupid question but are the leads are on the right way?

dan23
16-07-06, 08:23 PM
electrical prob loose wire bad earth maybe

TommySR
17-07-06, 09:42 AM
yep, once started its running fine and yeah the leads are on right way, thought it could have been a bad earth, checked one to car body from battery and starter motor earth etc and all seems to be ok.

Wouldnt have anything to do with the fact that i havent got a lambda sensor fitted in 4 branch exhaust manifold would it? I havent had one for months though? The engine management light comes on after a while ive driving but there is no change in performance or anything?

Adam
17-07-06, 01:09 PM
The lambda is ignored on cold start, which is why once the engine warms up(and ecu goes into closed loop mode) it receives no lambda signal, so flashes the light up.

I doubt its that causing the problem tho.

loggyboy
17-07-06, 01:18 PM
just on a completely random note - didnt think there was such thing as an e14se - only c14se???

andymac
17-07-06, 05:26 PM
lamba sensor could upset ecu if its just hanging drawing air

Adam
17-07-06, 06:19 PM
just on a completely random note - didnt think there was such thing as an e14se - only c14se???
Correct Loggy.

I assume he has no lambda plugged in, and his 4branch doesn't have a lambda hole.

TommySR
17-07-06, 06:36 PM
yep sorry lads, C14SE, nope, got no Lambda sensor at all as 4 Branch has no hole for one and it didnt seem to have any change on performance without one so left it. Any other ideas, heard it could be earth strap from engine/box to bodywork?