PDA

View Full Version : new engine wont turn over

SRlew
14-07-06, 06:25 PM
right i want help quick please.

as said it wont turn over. iv got 2 red wires coming from the battery (one fat one thin) what do they connect to?

also one of my immobilisers is on (flashing) if i havent connected this would this cause the engine not to start ore not?

iv found one wire with a hoop on the end whitch is not connected to anything, i think it went to the alternator but not sure, is there any diagrams of this sort of thing?

any help appriciated!

realy want to get it running tonight!!:thumb:

cheers lew

LUV2XLR8
14-07-06, 06:46 PM
if the little wire that has a hoop on it is blue, it goes to the alternator, the same part that aready has a wire on it, think its an earth.

the two reds.. if they are the only reds from your posative terminal, the fat one goes to the starter motor and the other goes to either the alternator or the heatermotor, depends what your missing

SRlew
14-07-06, 07:11 PM
yer the one with the hoop on it is is blue and white.

and yer thats the way iv got the red wires done.

just noticed that on the alternator theres a small black box on that says bosch on. it has a black wire coming from that to a connector part on the alt. that end has snapped off.

oh and iv forgoton to put a strap from the box to the shell, earth strap i asume.

Adam
14-07-06, 07:18 PM
Fit the earth strap.

Will it turn over and not fire/run, or you just get nothing when you turn the key to starter position?

SRlew
14-07-06, 07:40 PM
just get absolutely nothing

swapped the black box over for my old one so thats sorted

Ste L
14-07-06, 07:44 PM
think red till go to starter and altenator....

Adam
14-07-06, 07:54 PM
One red from battery goes straight to starter motor.
When you turn the key, do you hear a click?

SRlew
14-07-06, 07:59 PM
yer to the starter and one to the alt, but no theres no click.

its the same as when iv not disarmed the immobiliser, and one of them still isnt working :confused:

i might try and cut that immobiliser out and try again

Adam
14-07-06, 08:05 PM
Ye, sounds like immboliser is stopping starter solenoid circuit.

SRlew
14-07-06, 08:10 PM
carnt find where it connects to the original wires would it just connect to the m be hind the dash somewhere?

Adam
14-07-06, 08:32 PM
Just connect the immobiliser up to how it was originally(with the old engine) ?

SRlew
14-07-06, 08:34 PM
right traced the 2 wires from the immobiliser, one goes to a pink wire, and the other goes into a brown by the looks of things, sould i just connect the pink to the brown?

thats the thing i dont think iv messed with the immobiliser wires, so i'll try and bypass it first.

what you recon to the brown and pink then?

draper
14-07-06, 08:39 PM
right traced the 2 wires from the immobiliser, one goes to a pink wire, and the other goes into a brown by the looks of things, sould i just connect the pink to the brown?

thats the thing i dont think iv messed with the immobiliser wires, so i'll try and bypass it first.

what you recon to the brown and pink then?

erm, surely the immobiliser "circuit" should have the same colour wire at either end ?

was the immob working before you mucked about with your engine ?

SRlew
14-07-06, 08:41 PM
yer it was working before.

the immobiliser wires are just like solderd/taped to the pink and brown wires

draper
14-07-06, 08:50 PM
but when you fit an immob you simply cut the circuit for the starter motor or fuel pump or whatever your going to immobilse and connect each end to the immob circuit - i cant see how youd end up with 2 different colour cable, unless someone before you (or even you) had re-wired something at some point ?

SRlew
14-07-06, 08:58 PM
well this was the only thing done to the car when my brother baught it standard

draper
14-07-06, 09:07 PM
what sort of immobiliser is it ? how many wires in total for the immob ?

SRlew
14-07-06, 09:10 PM
i think the immob im having problems with is the actual cobra one for the alarm.

and theres just 2 wires coming from it. a yellow one witch conects to the pink of the car and a green/red witch conects to the brown of the car

draper
14-07-06, 09:15 PM
join them thru then matey, id put a fuse in-line just in case something goes BANG !

im just trying to figure out the wiring diagrams in my haynes manual !!

SRlew
14-07-06, 09:32 PM
iv put in the earth strap witch id forgotten about and still nothing. but i have noticed that the flashing l.e.d on the immob with problems, is now flashings if i put the key into the immob sort of thing. but i really dont know so im going to leave it till i have the patience cause its getting me so f**king angry.

draper
14-07-06, 09:38 PM
im going to leave it till i have the patience cause its getting me so f**king angry.

know the feeling mate, all good fun :D

SRlew
14-07-06, 09:46 PM
lol it does my head right in, now cause im in a bad mood when theres a bad advert or somthing on t.v i just start shouting at the t.v while looking for the remote or somthing, but hey lol

draper
14-07-06, 09:48 PM
its worse when you slip with the ratchet and nearly knock yourself out, stumble into the kitchen and girlfriend/wife/mother/boyfriend says "everything going well?"

SRlew
14-07-06, 10:01 PM
lol quality. i couldnt see for bout 6 hours yesterday, due to somthing falling into my eye then the gearbox mount fell of and hit me in the same eye. it swelled right up blood shot eye, cuts on my face i walked in the kitchen to wash me hands and my mum was just speeking to me like nothing was wrong with me, i doubt she even noticed.

had to go hospital to get me eye sorted.

dan23
14-07-06, 10:02 PM
when u fitted the earthstrap make sure its to bare metal if u painted your engine baywhile engine was out this could be a factor

SRlew
14-07-06, 10:12 PM
right will try that then before i get it picked up by the garage.

dan23
14-07-06, 10:25 PM
also check fuses an double check u put the wire on the right place on alt

also i dont think u should join pimk an brown (brow will be a earth but pink might not be

do your headlights etc work or is there no power at all

SRlew
14-07-06, 10:36 PM
well the digi dash comes on, like does its self checking thing.

Adam
15-07-06, 12:16 AM
Pink and brown wires, hmm, i cant think of any circuit that has pink/brown wires.

But if you've not touched the immobiliser wires when swapping the engine, why would it stop working?

dan23
15-07-06, 01:17 PM
i am pretty sure but dont quote me on this .i think if you put a wire on wrong place on alt it gives this problem also make sure you have earth wire from alt to block

SRlew
15-07-06, 06:18 PM
an earth from the alternator to the block? on the engine i removed there was a strap from the alt adjusting plate to the block, where the alt adjusting plate mounts to the block, but the engine i put in doesnt, i'll do that in a sec aswell then lol

bump
15-07-06, 07:13 PM
That might just be it matey.

SRlew
15-07-06, 07:50 PM
nope just put the strap on and still nothing,

but i connected the battery and the immobiliser came on as a permenantly lit l.e.d ?

im pretty sure every thing on the alt is on the right place etc, but might check again in a sec.

bump
15-07-06, 09:44 PM
Hummnn...it has to be stupidly obvious. I just can't think what else.

dan23
15-07-06, 10:29 PM
the wires you were on about is there 1 thick red (this goes to the starter) an a thin one that comes off the thick one (this goes to the alt),have you done that ?

if theres any wires etc your not sure about pm as i have just taken my carbs off so can locate most of the wires

are you sure the starter works check for bad connection loose wires rust on the terimanls etc

how about jacking up car go under neath with battery an 2 pieces of wire (make sure car is out of gear) an check starter with battery to make sure it does work

you do have an earth to starter dont u

SRlew
16-07-06, 04:24 PM
the wires you were on about is there 1 thick red (this goes to the starter) an a thin one that comes off the thick one (this goes to the alt),have you done that ?

if theres any wires etc your not sure about pm as i have just taken my carbs off so can locate most of the wires

are you sure the starter works check for bad connection loose wires rust on the terimanls etc

how about jacking up car go under neath with battery an 2 pieces of wire (make sure car is out of gear) an check starter with battery to make sure it does work

you do have an earth to starter dont u

right yer got the thicke red one to the starter and the smaller one to the alt.

im sure the starter works as ben started the engine a couple days before i piked it up.

how do i go about doing that with the battery and 2 pieces of wire then? cennect them to what etc?

and as for the earth on the starter im not sure. what colour wire would it be? and does it connect to one of the terminals?

but yer might have to pm you buddy, as i realy need to get it sorted! its driving me mad!

dan23
16-07-06, 08:28 PM
earth would be brown i ll have a look at mine later

disconnect the wires from the starter an put some wire from the terminals were the black an red wires go to + on battery an a wire from the other terminal to earth on the battery

have a look an see if you have any black wires not connected these are ingntion live that could be your problem

SRlew
16-07-06, 09:32 PM
well i did have to cut the black/red wire when removing the engine. at the min its just wound together with tape over it, till i get chance to go out and get some crimps big enought to fit the wire in.

also what you think to the immobiliser wires, can i connect the pink and brown together or am i best just leaving that, but that could also be the problem, well somewhere in the immobiliser system

dan23
16-07-06, 09:43 PM
not sure about joining the imboliser wires but it wont be that the imobiser stops it from sparking it should still turn over

i d have a look for loose/ not connected wires if there is no click from starter its either nackered or missing a wire

Adam
17-07-06, 12:51 AM
THe black/red wire is the starter solenoid wire, i'd check that is connected properly, especially if you have cut it, so it might be loose.

SRlew
17-07-06, 08:52 PM
yer will get some big crimps for the red/black wire tommorow.

got a couple things to try tommorow, if they dont work then its definatly down to the immobiliser. and i'll have to fork out some money to a bloody auto electrician.

rm7745
17-07-06, 09:11 PM
clip a wire onto the solenoid input live that comes from the immob-(thin wire), and then just quickly touch it to the live on the batt. then u will know if the immob isnt working properly!

SRlew
17-07-06, 09:15 PM
say again! lol

my dad has been telling me to try things like this but i just carnt get my head around it. lol

bump
17-07-06, 11:11 PM
Using the thin wire to the solenoid will in efect teporarily bypass the immobiliser and tell you if either is at fault. if the solenoid clicks in then the immobiliser is the problem, if it does nothing the the solenoid could well be dead.

Adam
17-07-06, 11:31 PM
Yep, as Bump said.
Putting 12v to the solenoid(red/black) wire will activate the solenoid, which in turn will switch the starter motor on.

SRlew
18-07-06, 04:44 PM
right iv got it to turn over

BUT i carnt get it to start, pushed it down the road and put it in gear, it sounded like it wanted to start but it didnt, will try putting it it a higher gear in a bit.

also you know theres those 2 wires that plug it to the part near the dizzy.... will i havent got a plug on the end of the wires, it never had one but worked fine. but cause i put a new engine in i obviously had to dissconect them, but im unsure now if there in the right way around. which colour wire where please?

any thing else i can try?

also going to fill the fuel pressure regulator with petrol so its nearer the engine etc. its a filter king one, how would i go about filling it? take the top of it off? ie undo the 10 or so screws to pull the top off and fill it or do it another way?

cheers lew