PDA

View Full Version : superchip/performance chip

sr-rompa
12-07-06, 05:24 PM
is it worth putting the above to a 1.6 gsi an waht gain would i get out of it

Mike
12-07-06, 05:28 PM
put one of these www.mvaux.com (http://www.mvaux.com) on instead as it'll be much more fun!!

sr-rompa
12-07-06, 05:58 PM
looks very nice

chimp007_uk
12-07-06, 06:03 PM
i have a "blitz" chipped one... it feels sharper and car goes well, gains are relatively small so hard to notice. pick up is better and pulls better through the rev range.

sr-rompa
12-07-06, 06:08 PM
how much did that cost an were did u get in from

draper
12-07-06, 06:16 PM
i alwys thought "chips" were to put everything right, ie when youve added a cam, filter, enlarged bits and ported stuff etc etc you get a chip fitted, rolling road tune and that sorts correct fuelling/air mixture ??

or helping overcome flatspots etc

could be wrong but thats how i understand it

Gunzi
12-07-06, 06:30 PM
I think the money could be better spent elsewhere, depending on the spec of your car. For example a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold or cam. You'd see more of an improvement with one of these. They pop up in the For Sale section.

I agree with draper midlands, that is if you don't go the T40 route. The chip would be bought after other mods are done, to map it to run smoothly and get the best from the engine throughout the rev range.

draper
12-07-06, 07:04 PM
I agree with draper midlands, that is if you don't go the T40 route. The chip would be bought after other mods are done, to map it to run smoothly and get the best from the engine throughout the rev range.

woohoo, starting to understand this engine malarky !!

draper
12-07-06, 07:04 PM

woohoo, starting to understand this engine malarky !!

chimp007_uk
12-07-06, 10:56 PM
i've got a 4 - 1 manifold, mild cam, fuel pressure reg, exhaust etc, so bought a chipped ecu. it advances the ignition timing, screws up co, but im no eco warrior :)

Stuart
13-07-06, 08:00 AM
a "superchip" is merely an off the shelf chip that contains a modded set of fuelling and ign maps that are generic across the board for a given engine, so its going to do the same on a std engine as it will on a cammed up engine. They generally cant be altered since they are pre blown with the settings so a RR tune isnt really that possible. the superchip is basically a glorified Ebay resistor mod... ok you get an increased rev limit, woooo hooo lmao

Gunzi
13-07-06, 09:01 AM
Unless of course you go for a mappable piggyback chip. Then it can be mapped for your engine specifically.

craig green
13-07-06, 09:50 AM
chips are pointless with NA especially when the management is as primative as Bosch L-jetronic.

Waste the money elsewhere.