PDA

View Full Version : Window Surrounds

Tim
12-07-06, 01:15 PM
hi all

just been to the local scrappy and found a mk1 sr in there, complete with window surrounds all in reasonable condition, my question is, how do i remove them without damaging them??? and will i be able to respray them? :confused:

seems a shame it being in there as i couldnt really find anything wrong with it, the shell looks hard as nails:cry:

cheers lads

tim:thumb:

Nova Full
12-07-06, 01:29 PM
you need to take the rear quater windows out to remove the rear ones, once the glass is out just gently pull the surround off, its stuck on so be gentle or you'll pull it out of shape

the front come off in pieces probbly easiest to get a small screw driver behind them to level them off

can't think of a reason why you can't respray them

Mike
12-07-06, 01:43 PM
or just got to vauxhall and get some new ones for pish all and alot less hassle of pulling them off!

There lead, and can be sprayed but will look sh1te IMO :thumb:

Tim
12-07-06, 01:54 PM
or just got to vauxhall and get some new ones for pish all and alot less hassle of pulling them off!

There lead, and can be sprayed but will look sh1te IMO :thumb:

just got off the phone from my local Vauxhall dealer, part no longer listed, no part number or fooook all.

i reckon it would be worth having them though, just a mission hanging 7ft in the air taking them off, hahalol fun though;)

i think they finish the side of the car off, and make it look much smarter, as well as the pillar vynal:thumb:

Mike
12-07-06, 02:13 PM
try here > 01730 895 112. thye specialize in obselete vauxhall parts :thumb:

Tim
12-07-06, 02:33 PM
get some new ones for pish all

just called that number u gave me, very friendly chap and very helpful, shame its going to cost just under 300quid for new 1s :eek: :eek: :eek: , think im going to attack the sr for a tenner and my time:thumb:

any body have and pics of them being fitted, just dont want to bodge them getting them off.

tim:thumb:

Nova Full
12-07-06, 02:33 PM
can you not get them to drop the car onto the floor whilst you remove them?

i'm sure i have a complete set of front ones lying around if you have any problems getting them off

Tim
12-07-06, 02:38 PM
^^^ sweet ill bear that in mind, cheers mate. they are right moody fluckers at the srappy, i doubt it he only wants a tenner for the set

Mike
12-07-06, 02:40 PM
just called that number u gave me, very friendly chap and very helpful, shame its going to cost just under 300quid for new 1s

Fook me, id never have though they'd be that much at all!!! Good jod ive got an SR shell at home with them on! hhhhhhmmm....

Tim
12-07-06, 02:46 PM
Fook me, id never have though they'd be that much at all!!! Good jod ive got an SR shell at home with them on! hhhhhhmmm....

tell me about it, the rear quarter 1s are 70quid each :eek: alone, i politly thanked him for his trouble and time but said, i think ill leave itlol

R1CH
12-07-06, 02:47 PM
They come off pretty easily if your carefull, i got a set off a mates GSi he breaking, the bits that always seem to bend are the bits with the rubber seals on them but again if your carefull you'll be ok.
As for them looking sh1te if you spray them ... ? i had all mine painted in a Dark Metalic Grey to match the bumpers & i think they lokk pretty good like !!

Rich

Tim
12-07-06, 02:50 PM
nice 1 rich, got any piccys for us??

R1CH
12-07-06, 02:57 PM
I've got photos from pretty much every angle apart from side ways on !!
Hopefully gonna get some pics up this next week anyway.

Rich

Tim
12-07-06, 02:58 PM
haha, ok . i look forward to seeing them

oh yeah, and i like your snarf avatar, thundercats rocked

ade
13-07-06, 11:27 PM
I sprayed mine gloss black and they looked fine. be very careful when removing the front ones - start by removing the part thats behind the wing mirror (which means removing the mirror totally) - they slot in underneath each other. As mentioned you need the rubber for the front 1/4 window as the bottom edge is slightly different. To get this out you need to dismantle the door - best getting a haynes

Or easier - buy the whole feckin door from the scrappy and take your time over it...