PDA

View Full Version : Settle an argument

Anonymous
03-02-01, 08:54 PM
My mate has 89 GTE (same as me) and mine pi$$eS all over his. His is chipped and thats it. Now... he wants to buy something to try and get his to keep up with mine. I say a power boost valve would make the most difference (advice from you guys) and he says a K&N induction kit or an S.S manifold would make the most.

I told him not to be cheap and get em all.. but hes a student LOL! (no offence students).

So who is right. Power boos valve OR K&N OR Manifold?

Anonymous
03-02-01, 09:14 PM
None! Cheap mod is to take off the base of the airbox, and drill 8 spaced out 30mm holes in the bottom! This will produce a vacuum inside the box sucking in colder + more air! So look out for an extra 9%bhp, and 10%torque from doing this!
Better still do this, and then buy a k+n or pipercross panel filter and add an extra 2-3% on each!!!

Dicko

Anonymous
03-02-01, 10:00 PM
Would an induction kit give mor power or vthe holes? I know the induction is more? but what is the best gain?

Anonymous
04-02-01, 02:48 AM
but the ECU needs remapping after drilling holes in the airbox

Anonymous
04-02-01, 06:08 PM
u will prob get away without ecu remaping after drilling the the air box as the ecu will prob compensate

Anonymous
04-02-01, 09:27 PM
It''l reduce filtration though (drilling holes) so u'd b better of getting a free-flow filter.

Anonymous
05-02-01, 07:16 AM
Its still not setled though! What would give the best results out of the above mention three options?

Cheerz any way peeps!

Anonymous
05-02-01, 09:10 AM
A power boost valve (adjustable fuel pressure regulator) will do dick on it own. Your motor is set up to give the correct fuel:air ratio. The boost valve is only useful when you have done mods to enhance breathing. Even in this situation you might only see a slight 1 or 2 bhp increase, but the real benefit is driveability. It`ll take out any flat spots caused by a lean mixture. The K&N will be better than a drilled air box, but only when you sort the fuelling out. Drilling your airbox in the correct place will NOT reduce filtration, as the air still has to pass through the filter.
Best combination:K&N, Zorst & adjustable regulator. Doesn`t have to be FSE, there are much cheaper ones if you look around.

Anonymous
05-02-01, 07:37 PM
You don`t need to remap after fitting a 57i so drilling the airbox won`t knock it out either ;)