PDA

View Full Version : revs go up but the car doesnt go any quicker

mdibb
11-07-06, 10:33 PM
driving around today and noticed my car wasnt running like usual,i put my foot down a bit,the revs go up as usual but the car doesnt hardly go anywhere and starts to smell,will it be the clutch or what else could i check for,its a nova fitted with a 2.0 8v cavalier sri engine.
thanks a lot for any help.

Stuart
11-07-06, 10:35 PM
clutch = gone

draper
11-07-06, 10:41 PM
hope its downhill to get home - sounds like clutch is well knackered !!

did you not notice anything before today ?

mdibb
11-07-06, 11:02 PM
ok thanks a lot for that quick reply,no mate i didnt notice anything different apart from when i drove it today there was just no speed.do you know a rough price for a new clutch including fitting for this engine ?
thanks again all.

Adam
11-07-06, 11:43 PM
If you can remove the clutch with engine/transmission in place, probably ?120ish a garage would charge.
A lot more if they've got the remove the engine tho.

Stuart
12-07-06, 07:48 AM
iirc the gearbox has to come off since GM stopped beinf usefull and removed the access plate after the F13 lol

John
12-07-06, 07:26 PM
iirc the gearbox has to come off since GM stopped beinf usefull and removed the access plate after the F13 lol

Nope you can do it on the bigger block engines too stuart, probably given away by the fact that if you have an inspection cover, then you can replace clutch with gearbox in situ. I know that you can do this on early engines. Later x20 xevs, anything with a hydraulic clutch or isuzu diesel has a recessed flywheel and you then have to remove g/box completely. My early c20xe clutch can be changed through the inspection plate hole.:thumb:

Adam
12-07-06, 07:41 PM
Only early big blocks you can.
Early XE's etc.

Most XE's even have the cover plate, even tho they have a POT type fly, so you cant change the clutch with box in situ.
Anything around 1992 on would probably be a box off job.

John
12-07-06, 07:44 PM
Ok ok, just take the inspection plate off and if you can see a recessed flywheel then you're gonna have to take the box off......

Adam
12-07-06, 07:49 PM
I cant remember if the 8v big blocks have the access panel, they may do.

John
12-07-06, 07:54 PM
Ok, i thought all f16 gearboxes have the inspection panel? I seem to remember doing a m registered cav, with an f16, throught he inspection plate hole. Obviously i'm not an expert though.

stafford
14-07-06, 09:26 PM
f16 uses the small block i think also i doesnt have an inspection hole im shore even the f15 doesnt have one good luck mate