PDA

View Full Version : Think I am been ripped off ?

Mr_C
11-07-06, 06:29 PM
Right well....

I took the nova to the garage on Thrusday and after 5 days I finally got a reply of the bloke saying that it was going to cost me 300 quid to get the Idle Control Valve changed, the car re-wired and new fuel lines been put on it. Bearing in mind that the engine in my nova is a 1400 corsa sport engine, am I been ripped off ?

krobinson
11-07-06, 06:32 PM
You could have done it yourself for much much less. Paying a garage to work on your car is always going to expensive, unless its on "mates rates"

Keith

Mr_C
11-07-06, 06:34 PM
The work hasn't been done yet. I wouldn't know where to start on changing the Idle Control Valve. I'd have a bash at the re-wiring and fuel lines. But I know it wouldn't be done like as good as they could do it.

kevster
11-07-06, 06:38 PM
the fuel lines are not that bad to do just done them on mine

but the fuel didnt tast to nice lol

Stanley
11-07-06, 06:43 PM
idle control valves are a pain on the 16v corsa's

IIRC you have to remove inlet manifold, TB and quite alot of gumf to gain access to it.

i had a look at my mates one and it didnt look pretty.

stay 8v!!:thumb:

draper
11-07-06, 07:02 PM
your not being ripped off if you do try it yourself and **** it up and it then costs you more to get that sorted !!

fuel lines are a pretty straightforward job, simply take old ones off and put new ones on - job done

its upto you in the end, would you be happy paying 300 quid and having piece of mind (hopefully !!)

Mike
12-07-06, 08:40 AM
fook that off, id do it myself wether i knew how to or not! :thumb:

General Baxter
12-07-06, 10:30 AM
fook that off, id do it myself wether i knew how to or not! :thumb:

cow boy lol

loggyboy
12-07-06, 10:30 AM
Im reluctant to hand over ?40 for an MOT that i cant do myself - let alone handing over ?300 for something i could do in a weekend.
as stated above, idle valves are a pain to get to as they are tucked right down below the inlet - however with carefull fiddling they can be reached from the under side (on a nova anyway). Its also quite popular to move them so they can be changed easier, as they go wrong so often! Just a matter of finding and routing some suitable pipe work.
(just re read ur post and realised its a Baby Valver - which im not sure how complicated the ICV is to replace!) oops

as for the wiring - what needs doing? if its just getting the XE plumbed in its piss easy - if its not just that, and its someting complicated and your not sure you could do a good job - then pay the money - wiring is an **** when it isnt done right. (just be sure the mechanic is doing it right tho!!)

Mike
12-07-06, 11:03 AM
cow boy lol

Speak for yourself Baxter ha aha lol lol your just as bad as me mate! :D