PDA

View Full Version : gearbox trouble, stuck in 1st/2nd i think....

johnnynova
11-07-06, 02:51 PM
the joys of novas.... its been fine for soo long now, then problems when i need it most!!!

when i try and start it i jerks forward and wont start, it does start with the clutch pressed tho, but whehn i lift the clutch engine begins to die and car tries to go forward,

i have had the gearbox top cover off and the selectors are all in line with each other. (if looking from front bumper they are all to the right hand side)

its a 5speed 13sr box, 1.4 engine.

someone suggested it cud be stuck in 5th as this is direct drive???

i need the car working on thursday morning!! any ideas??

cheers

john

Adam
11-07-06, 06:22 PM
Ok, probably a stupid question, but the linkage is still attached to the box isn't it?
But i spose the linkage would be completely loose if it had broke.

johnnynova
11-07-06, 06:57 PM
yeh linkage all ok, i took it off when i took the gearbox top cover off, i un-did the linkage, but even with that off, the cover off (so i can see the selectors) when i push the car, the crank goes round and i can hear the pistons compress/decompress etc, so the wheels are turning the engine which mens a gear is engaged.

Adam
11-07-06, 07:01 PM
What happens when you try to select a gear then?
You just cant move the gear stick?

johnnynova
12-07-06, 04:51 AM
i can move the gear stick, the car still tries to go forward, except when i put it in reverse, then it doesnt move and just stalls when i release the clutch, so i think 5th's stuck, sum1 advised me.

i nees the car asap thursday morn, need to fix the nov's asap!!!

johnnynova
12-07-06, 07:29 PM
any ideas people??

or am i just gonna have to shove a new box on there?

if so anyone got a f10 box in the brighton/hove/sussex area.......

John
12-07-06, 07:33 PM
So with the clutch fully depressed the car is still trying to pull away when a gear is selected? this could be clutch failure, or misaligned clutch cable.
Can you select all gears with the engine switched off?
When the car is in neutral with the engine running, is the car still trying to pull away? Have you checked how much oil is in the gearbox?

ajsvalver
12-07-06, 10:40 PM
i had the same problem on a cavalier gsi i used to have, it ended up being the fifth gear misalighned by some idiot damaging the end of the main shaft, after someone had done a clutch and where the circlip sits on the end had damaged its recess thus circlip flew off ,when i started it neutral the car ran but was trying to set off slightly it still drove tho just ended up driving it in 2 gears at the same time very strange feeling made me cringe

johnnynova
19-07-06, 06:56 PM
so i think mine is stuck in 5th, as you suggested, is there any way to sort it out, or do i need to put a new box on her??

if i need a new box, any one in brighton with a f10 box? or f13 is they are the same size?? CR if possible.....

cheers

john

nathan.
19-07-06, 08:40 PM
Sounds like the circlip has come off 5 th gear to me. Happened twice to me.lol

Riggy
19-07-06, 09:55 PM
can you selct gear by pusing the selecter by hand ?

one thing that has happend to me is is ad jammed a the shaft inside the box and the only way to get it out was to mis a gear on purpose while driving thus freeing it up

rm7745
20-07-06, 10:06 AM
Sounds like a dodgy clutch/cable, and also your gear linkage needs algining, u know, pull out plug insert drill, move gearstick left etc...