PDA

View Full Version : stem seals or rings ?

Anonymous
02-02-01, 08:00 PM
my cars burnin oil and blue smokin' out the exhaust. is there any test you can do to find out whether your rings are worn or if its your valve stem oil seals ?!?!? cheers.

Anonymous
03-02-01, 02:21 PM
the common tests 4 rings are
1- leave the car ticking over 4 a few mins then boot it and if it is rings u will get a cloud of blue smoke.
2- go doun a hill on over run then go back on the throttle and watch 4 blue smoke.
3- pull off the breather to the air box, and with engine running see how much fumes/oil vapours come out of the pipe. there should be some fumes but no oil coming out.
4- compression test,
u need a compression tester , remove plugs and test each cylinder, make note of readings. should get 120psi or above , the higher the better.
i readings r low u need 2 do this next test .
5- wet compression test , same as above but put a bit of oil down into the cylinder first, do test and compear readings 2 last ones.
if the readings are a lot higher this points 2 worn bottom end, if readings do not change much then all is ok , or if reading is low it will be from valve to seat seal.
Valve stem oil seals usually show as blue smoke on start up , so look 4 more smoke on starting.

Anonymous
03-02-01, 02:28 PM
test one should only be done with a warm engine else you will really fuck your rings up :)

Anonymous
05-02-01, 09:33 AM
bahh I limiter my 1.2i from stone cold no probs in 12k yet!!

Anonymous
05-02-01, 10:17 AM
blandy/anyone - where can I get one of these compression testers?

Anonymous
05-02-01, 05:32 PM
Halfords!