PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used one of these to tow a Nova ?

R1CH
10-07-06, 08:30 PM
Alrite, picking one of these up on wednesday so i can take my car to get an exhaust made up, just wondering if anyones used one on a Nova before ? any probs ?
The cars not that low so clearance shouldn't be an issue, the front bumpers about 7 1/2" off the ground plus i can raise it up about another inch if needed.

http://www.hss.com/g/60204/Towing_and_39_a_and_39_Frame.html

What d'ya reckon ?

Rich

Ben
10-07-06, 10:57 PM
Yeah there easy to use.

Paul16v
10-07-06, 11:00 PM
you'll be fine wid one of them i'd say rich,

dannyb
11-07-06, 08:16 AM
If you've never towed before, this is a good introduction to it! A frames are much nicer than Nylon rope!

Stuart
11-07-06, 09:22 AM
Dosent the car being towed by an A frame/dolly, tehcnically need to be "road legal"? (ie tax, test, insurance)

Lee
11-07-06, 11:38 AM
Dosent the car being towed by an A frame/dolly, tehcnically need to be "road legal"? (ie tax, test, insurance)

Indeed, if the wheels are on the ground, it has to be road legal UNLESS the vehicle is being recovered or taken for a test. If you using it just to transport, car needs to be fully legal.

Chris
11-07-06, 12:22 PM
and strictly speaking, needs to be braked to be legal if weighing over 750kilos with a driver with license after '97

dhdev (Oli)
11-07-06, 12:31 PM
Indeed, if the wheels are on the ground, it has to be road legal UNLESS the vehicle is being recovered or taken for a test. If you using it just to transport, car needs to be fully legal.
Are you sure?
As when it is attached to an A-frame it technically becomes a trailer. Therefore usual trailer rules apply (i.e. no MOT or Tax) the only grey area is the weight issue, i.e under 750kgs un-braked. The reason I say grey area is because do you take the weight of the vehicle being towed (stripped out nova sub 750kgs) or the GVW of the vehicle being towed (more than 750kgs) If its the GVW then it would make it illegal. :confused:

Lee
11-07-06, 01:09 PM
Ok, due to being very bored, i put a call in to the DVLA engineering division. The results were very interesting.

A car being towed with an A frame falls into 2 categorys.

If the A frame is fitted with a system to allow the towed vehicle to brake when the tow vehicle brakes, it becomes a trailer and has to fall into the same bracket of rules governing trailers of the same weight.

If the A frame is NOT braked, the vehicle being towed has to be fully road legal (MOT and tax) and can ONLY be used to recover or to be towed to a scrap yard or MOT testing station.

Same rules apply to a towing dolly, even if the driving wheels are off the floor.

Interesting stuff!

Ben
11-07-06, 07:50 PM
I got stopped towing a corsa with a recovery dolly (on the back of a recovery truck with a nova on it) the dolly was not braked and the corsa was not road legal and over 750kg's.

They only moaned i didnt have a lighboard.

letvalva
11-07-06, 09:19 PM
if you can only use it to take for mot etc just book the car in for mot near the exhaust place, and dont turn up lol, then if you get pulledand they phone the garage to check its covered

Ben
11-07-06, 11:38 PM
I done that when i drove a GSi from Liverpool LMAO

R1CH
11-07-06, 11:48 PM
Might be worth booking it in for an MOT !!
lol

jamie gsi16v
12-07-06, 12:33 AM
very good idea