PDA

View Full Version : Brake drum problem

zola
09-07-06, 04:13 PM
Well basically my rear brake drum on the passenger side won't turn at all and seems to of seized up. I've tried to get the hub off but I noticed that the brake shoes are stuck around the inside of the hub. Does anyone know what has caused this?

Thanks in advance

dan23
09-07-06, 04:41 PM
siezed handbrake cable put the car on level ground let the hand brake off get a few mates to stand at both sides of car an rock it from side to side that should work if not go underneath with wd40 spray the cable an pull it to free it off

zola
09-07-06, 04:59 PM
But I've only just put a new handbrake cable on, and I've now just noticed that there's brake fluid coming from the drum, this is getting worse every minute. So much for getting the MOT done tomoz!

What do you thinks caused this guys and how do I get the hub off?

Welsh Dan
09-07-06, 09:27 PM
Hit it with a hammer a few times to see if it frees up.

dan23
09-07-06, 09:51 PM
sounds like you have put too much tension on your new cable try slackening it off if it still sticks try tapping the drum with hammer ,if it still doesnt work leave the wheel on an remove the nut that holds drum on an pull the drum off while it is still bolted to wheel an check the brake shoe an handbrake cable adjustment

mowgli
11-07-06, 08:03 PM
i'm guessing the self adjuster mechanism is also jammed & the slave cylinder has pushed out, possibly jamming the brakes on. you may have to be brutal with the drum. they don't cost much to replace.

womble sri
11-07-06, 08:44 PM
hit the drum probably just the shoe stuck happened on my asstra

LUV2XLR8
12-07-06, 12:37 AM
relaes the bleed nipple