PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler on Xe Nova

Tim
07-07-06, 09:33 AM
hi all,

just a quick question, when fitting the xe lump in to a nova are people fitting the oil cooler as well? how nessassery is this? if its not used what do ppl use to blank off the cooler inlet and outlet??

cheers :thumb:

tim

Mike
07-07-06, 10:05 AM
might as well just use a cooler, ive just bought on e of eBay for an XE for ?17.50.

If your not using one, just remove the sandwich plate from between the oil filter and engine block. Although i dont know if people do use them though but if not thats all I'd do?

Tim
07-07-06, 10:53 AM
im not to sure if people are using them or not, what do people do in general, and where do u fit it to??

-Bruce-
07-07-06, 11:42 AM
I would fit it. I have one fitted on my 16008v.

If you want to fit it:
Just make up afew brackets and mount it to the lower cross member infront of the radiator. Make sure that the oil pipes dont touch the manifold or any moving parts.

If you dont want it: Use a allen key and remove the sandwitch plate fron the engine and insert a normall none oil cooled vaux engines oil filter adapter. Then screw your filter on.

bruce

Tim
07-07-06, 12:10 PM
cheers bruce, what are the advantages/disadvantages of having one fitted?

i get the inpression that not many people fit them when doing an xe conversion, i feel more inclined to fit one as vauxhall fitted them on the xe engines. and thousends of pounds of reasearch and development must have gone in to it so they must be used for a reason:confused:

Austin_Nova16
07-07-06, 02:29 PM
Not all XE's came with oil coolers......

Tim
07-07-06, 02:41 PM
Not all XE's came with oil coolers......

i stand corrected, so whats the deal then??? to cool or not to cool that is the question, hahahah:thumb:

The Simps
07-07-06, 04:27 PM
Most people leave them off because they also see it a bother trying to mount it.

You don't really need one for everyday use tbh but if you are planning on doing trackdays I definately would. I suffred on trackdays with not having one.

To remove tho is very easy. As said remove the sandwich plate and you are left with a long double threaded bolt. remove the bolt and replace it with a shorter one off a non-cooler model (can be 2.0 16v or 8v, all the same) and refit your oil cooler.

I've got my sandwich plate n cooler in peices so I try n get a pic for you.

Simps.

Tim
07-07-06, 04:39 PM
that would be great, much appreciated

cheers

Stuart
07-07-06, 09:16 PM
tbh you MUST have an Oilstat otherwise you maywell be cooling the oil all the time which will cause engine damage...

-Bruce-
08-07-06, 09:47 AM
Stu im sure the sandwitch plate on the Xe has a stat in it!! So thats ok.

Timmy, Just fit one it does not take long, if its on your engine fit it to the car.

Another small point: If you drain the old ****y oil out of the cooler. Then when you fit it do the car make sure to fill it and the pipes with oil. If you dont fill the cooler up, when the thermostat opens on the sandwitch plate to get the oil cooled through the cooler, your engine will loose about 1L + of oil!! Not a good thing!!

Bruce