PDA

View Full Version : rca wire question

probert_nova
06-07-06, 02:25 PM
fitted in my install and the amps not switching on, its has power and a good earth, iv'e checked this with an electrical screwdriver. so i guess its the rca lead. so before i go rippin my dash to pieces to check my rca connection can someone answer these questions.

what does the rca lead send, power? if so what voltage?
and could i trick the the amp somehow to switch on?

cheers

Mike
06-07-06, 02:27 PM
RCA sends a 12v power to switch on the amp.

DI4BLO
06-07-06, 02:49 PM
RCA sends a 12v power to switch on the amp.

Nope, rca are the phono cables that send the audio signal to the amp.

The remote cable is the switch, make sure the remote cable is hooked up.

dannyb
06-07-06, 06:17 PM
Try a mates amp to see if your wiring or your amp is at fault mate? One of my old amps was damaged (by my mum) when I took it out of the car to re wire the sound system, I ended up wasting a day chasing non existant faults in the wiring before I borrowed an amp to check the wiring.

Adam
06-07-06, 07:13 PM
As Di4Blo said the RCA cables just send the sound.

Check the remote wire (usually blue) is taking voltage to the amp to switch it on.

philly
06-07-06, 08:40 PM
RCA cables only send through sound signals. a blue remote wire usually turns the amp on with your headunit and is connected to the back of the headunit onto a blue wire from the unit...

you can trick your amp by running a cable from the 12v on your amp to the remote terminal on your amp, this would cause it to be on permanantly and if left on flatten your battery unless you put a switch on the wire so you turn it on and off manually

Lucky Luke!
07-07-06, 09:54 AM
Actually RCA's do send a small voltage depending on your h/unit. however this has nothing to do with the amp turning on, where is it earthed to? what amp is it? have you checked fuses etc? to trick the amp you need to bridge a wire from the permanent live to the remote, if it comes on your remote is duff.

Mike
07-07-06, 10:10 AM
Check the remote wire (usually blue) is taking voltage to the amp to switch it on.

Thats what i meant, just realised ive put RCA like tw@t :roll: