PDA

View Full Version : the new guy!

belfast_1.2
06-07-06, 12:43 PM
hey hey bois and girls im 18 from belfast (northern ireland for those who dont know) and im lookin for a few tips on getting a few extra bhp out of a 1992 1.2 merit? any1 got any cheap but powerful tips as im a bit low on cash being an electrical and mechanical apprntice??
any help would be gr8 cheers
C

Matt2107
06-07-06, 12:58 PM
Definately get a K&N replacement element.
Although you wont get much change from ?40.00 they are guranteed for a million miles and only need a clean and a service every 100,000.

It probably wont really add much Bhp even though K&N claim they do.

Mike
06-07-06, 01:09 PM
How do matey. Erm, yeah a filter and exhaust system would be nice and a manifold if they do one for 1.2?

Then just oil change, plugs and leads, dizy and coil etc etc

novamadman
06-07-06, 01:59 PM
How do matey. Erm, yeah a filter and exhaust system would be nice and a manifold if they do one for 1.2?

Then just oil change, plugs and leads, dizy and coil etc etc

how do fellow northern irelander

weber 32/34, sr inlet, 4 branch, a damm good service and possibly a cam and youl have a good goin wee motor

shane

Mike
06-07-06, 02:03 PM
i tell you what, them 1.2's are nippy little motors! And the 1.0's you now

dannyb
06-07-06, 05:49 PM
Take some weight out, uprate the brakes and improve the suspension. You can hold your speed through corners. This will not make the car more powerful but from a 'track day' point of view, the brakes will improve your point to point time (braking later etc). You could change to GSi calipers and discs (very cheaply plus spares are cheap) or have 16v brakes, depends on whether you have 15s or not. Until I get a suspension kit on my 1.2, I've stiffened things up a bit with poly bushed 20mm anti roll bars from a GSi (a cheap cheap quick fix handling solution)
For a minimal power gain, try a SR cam (not too lairy for road use) and the bits novamadman recommended.
Are you keeping the shell to change to a larger engine in the future? If so, I wouldn't worry about spending on the engine and concentrate on buying running gear that can cope with it.

Jack
06-07-06, 05:56 PM
Take some weight out, uprate the brakes and improve the suspension. You can hold your speed through corners.
Bingo, forget all the K&N crap - if anything they usually cost you power.

Rexy
06-07-06, 08:26 PM
DAM it he beat me to it :D

belfast_1.2
07-07-06, 09:54 AM
im lookin to take out the back seats and put down a new floor and fit a roll cage but im afraid that due to removing all this extra weight that wen i get her dropped she wont sit as low as id like! i just wanna kep the extreior pretty simple colour code everything and get a respray and a set of 13" compomotives and down say about 60mm or lower depending on how low she sits with he lack of weight.
any suggestions any1??;)

dannyb
07-07-06, 05:11 PM
I don't know if you'll get any decent size brakes under the compos. I tried fitting my skinny 13s and they don't clear the GSi calipers I have on it. It will look good opn 13s deck though. Buy adjustable suspension so you can get the correct height.

Mike
07-07-06, 05:14 PM
im lookin to take out the back seats and put down a new floor and fit a roll cage but im afraid that due to removing all this extra weight that wen i get her dropped she wont sit as low as id like! i just wanna kep the extreior pretty simple colour code everything and get a respray and a set of 13" compomotives and down say about 60mm or lower depending on how low she sits with he lack of weight.
any suggestions any1??;)

Extra weight = dead weight anyway.

Dont worry about how low it looks, its how good it handles! Have you ever seen a decked rally car lol but if you ever drive on you'll notice that 9/10 they handle ace! :thumb: well, if they've got slicks not nobblies on??