PDA

View Full Version : Best way to approach this?

Matt2107
04-07-06, 01:13 PM
Where I work I've noticed a good condition MK2 SR.

Now I was thinking about putting a little note on its windscreen asking if they'd consider selling it.

This is where you lot come in.... collectively we can put together a note that isn't to obtrusive.

All suggestions welcome.

TommySR
04-07-06, 01:16 PM
lol, i did this to the car ive got now lol

I werent very subtle though, it was in my works car park, after having good look round etc, i waited for the owner lol, this old lady thought i was going to mug her i think, just told her i was interested in it as i was gonna rebuild it etc and she was overwhelmed! She couldnt beleive that i was interested in her "baby". She had owned it for 10 years etc. and refused to sell it as it wasnt worth anything, kept at it and showing an interest then eventually she parted with it bout 2 months down the line!

Just leave a small note enquiring about the car leaving your number or something, its down to them really, unless your lucky enough to catch the owner at the car

Stoo
04-07-06, 01:25 PM
Spotted an immaculate origional GSi the other day and was gonna do the same!!

Mike
04-07-06, 01:27 PM
ive though about this many a time! When ive seen nice motors parked up, leaving a note with my number for them like.

Dear Sir/Madam

The reason i leave this note is due to the outstanding condition of your car and I'd be very intrerested in buying it off you.

Please could you call me on xxxxx xxxxxxx to discuss "business".

Many thanks for your time.

:thumb:

TommySR
04-07-06, 01:48 PM
yeah, id seen it there a few times, every Saturday it was actually, and just thought, why not, they can only say no?

Stuart
04-07-06, 02:00 PM
tbh i think its quite sad... i mean you dont see a bently and think ohh i want to buy that ill put a note under the wiper...

Mike
04-07-06, 02:09 PM
tbh i think its quite sad... i mean you dont see a bently and think ohh i want to buy that ill put a note under the wiper...

Tit. Car's within our price range that we'd buy to modify! Yeah, we'll buy a bentley and put MO's on it :roll:

Quite sad? Get over it, you know as well as us you dont get anything without asking now do you Stu.:p

SRlew
04-07-06, 02:09 PM
people kept knocking on my door wanting to buy mine, when it was in the garden like.

TommySR
04-07-06, 02:10 PM
^^ exactly? why wait until a clean Nova ends up on here or eBay where they fetch alot more money than they would if you were to go and get it off some old woman who hadnt a clue what they were worth lol

SRlew
04-07-06, 02:14 PM
yer true. iv seen an opel mata gte that i want lol might knok on his door one day. or this series1 rs turbo, pretty much looking s**t in this guys garden.

BigStan
04-07-06, 02:54 PM
Ive seen a mint grey GTE going about my way and thought about doing the same thing, some old women drives it and i thought maybe i could get a good price off her !
But then i start to think what i would do with it if i bought it, i havent really got the space or money to have another car ! :(

Riggy
04-07-06, 04:50 PM
lol i was stood in my local motorfactors having a brew when a mint white 1.0 pulled up outside , the guy came in and enquired about a price on plugs and leads when i jokingly said "do you wanna sell that mate " and he replyed " i do actually "

blah blah blah its now my little PePE lol

Mike
04-07-06, 04:52 PM
blah blah blah its now my little PePE lol

Ah bless lol lol lol

Stoo
04-07-06, 04:53 PM
PMSL I remember u tellin me that story!!!

RJM25R
04-07-06, 05:08 PM
When I have a day off, I usually go out for a run in the Nova. Last couple of weeks, I've been to the retail park in Oldham getting lunch (there's a KFC and a Maccy D's) and TBH i'm amazed/disturbed at the amount of interest it's getting..... I had two asian lads in a Subaru asking loads of questions, but when I left, they followed me for ages.... AND it doesn't live in a garage cos there ain't room for it..... I think it's gonna have to move to my sisters house if i get any more paranoid....

Jack
04-07-06, 05:20 PM
If a genuine person approached me and really wanted to buy my car I'd rack the price right up. If they want it that bad they can pay the premium...

Mike
04-07-06, 05:21 PM
You should have just pulled over and pretended you was on your phone whilst taking the reg of car that was following you :thumb:

dannyb
04-07-06, 05:27 PM
Before i could drive, everyday I'd walk past a beaten up red Capri 1.6 that would've made a perfect first car. When I saw it for sale, I knocked on the door, cash in pocket and enquired. It'd already been sold that afternoon for ?200. My advice would be to get in their first, lay down a note and maybe say that even if they don't want to sell now, to call you if the car does come up for sale sometime.

Matt2107
05-07-06, 11:09 AM
Just seeing it has brought back memories of my old SR.
I'm driving a Mk2 Mondeo estate 1.8 Zetec at the min which is good and reliable but its a quarter of the fun of my old SR.

Yes the arches are rusty on it and the paints a bit faded but the vinyl looks ok. It had a puncture on the back left and I was thinking of hanging around for the owner but I thought that was a bit sad.

There's a haynes manual kicking around on the back seat so I'm guessing its someone who takes care of it themselves.

I'll definately put a note on it this evening.

shy witness
05-07-06, 12:23 PM
if u dont ask..................ya dont get ........

simple enough.......

i've bought a few cars myself .by just calling 2 someones door after seeing that it hadnt been used regulary.......

on sone occasions i've been told 'no.....go away'...but sure its worth atry......

when i'd my orange nova at the front door....i woz tortured with people calling.........trying 2 buy it.....leaving numbers etc.......

and the same once when parked outside a chip shop........a guy woz there with his son and they both walked round it about 10 times with theyre tounge out....

they gave me theyre number n'all...

if i woz real interested in a certain car....i would deffinatly do the same

Mike
05-07-06, 12:27 PM
on sone occasions i've been told 'no.....go away'...but sure its worth atry......

I'm not surprised with literacy lke that though! lol

Stu's shore gonna r@pe your @ss for excellent use of the English language :thumb:

craig green
05-07-06, 01:15 PM
House nr me has an Audi Quattro in the garden

Sign reads

THIS CAR IS NOT FOR SALE

Its rusty as feck now, stood there for years.

Mike
05-07-06, 01:23 PM
House nr me has an Audi Quattro in the garden

Sign reads

THIS CAR IS NOT FOR SALE

Its rusty as feck now, stood there for years.

Not suprised! Everyone who is seroius about rallying would be after that car! :thumb:

Stoo
05-07-06, 01:39 PM
Theres an immaculate 1.4 SRi near my misses mums house, was gonna ask but had the XE at the time so didnt need it!!

shy witness
05-07-06, 03:28 PM
ooooopppppssss

sorry ...considder my wrists slapped

i hit an 'n' instead of an 'm'............and i never put a space 'a' and 'try'

its been a while since i was at school ....i apologise deeply

JSeymour
05-07-06, 04:00 PM
i sold my gte to someone who left there number and a note asking if i wanted to sell it and brought my current nova by asking the person if they'd sell it.

Riggy
05-07-06, 04:42 PM
lol well you wasnt in the nova the day you text me rick lol or i would have ****ed argos off no matter what lol

and me and sean was approched by 2 men tryin to buy both of ours a couple of month back lol

Mike
05-07-06, 04:45 PM
and me and sean was approched by 2 men tryin to buy both of ours a couple of month back lol

Did they both have a couple of baseball bats and flat headed screwdrivers? Prolly was planning on robbing them as oppose to actually paying for them lol

Riggy
05-07-06, 04:49 PM
well we was at the ellesmere port boat museum so they could have been from the pool lol

Mike
05-07-06, 04:50 PM
well we was at the ellesmere port boat museum so they could have been from the pool lol

Bet that was interesting day out looking at boats lol Yeah, knowing your luck i think they had other plans!

Like a bank job, but not for a loan where you repay it monthly if you know what i mean! lol lol

Haynzee
05-07-06, 04:51 PM
I knocked on a guys door who had 2 mini's in the front garden. Asked him if he wanted to sell them.

"no mate im doing them up"

No problem, says I, and leave

Go past the next weekend and he's stripped and cut them both in half ready for the tat man.

WTF?

Mike
05-07-06, 04:53 PM
"no mate im doing them up"

You've been fobbed off! What a blag, prolly nicked cars lol lol

after all it is wolverhampton lol

Jack
05-07-06, 05:00 PM
Go past the next weekend and he's stripped and cut them both in half ready for...
...welding back together, respraying, and selling on with cunningly ground off VIN plates? lol

Mike
05-07-06, 05:01 PM
Go past the next weekend and he's stripped and cut them both in half ready for...

...welding back together, respraying, and selling on with cunningly ground off VIN plates? lol

Ace, about for my neck of the woods im afraid! lol :roll: