PDA

View Full Version : removing an engine

SRlew
03-07-06, 08:27 PM
right im going to take out my engine on thursday but want to know somthing.

when it comes to take the engine out, how do you go about doing it with the gearbox still on? in haynes it says you have to take it off but i know you can do it with it on cause i think benji did.

is it alot harder with it on? and does anyone else remove engines with the box etc still on? any tips on anything?

help appriciated, lew:thumb:

hendrix
03-07-06, 08:32 PM
nah tis easy with box on, unbolt driveshafts from hubs and unbolt bottom arms to make enough room to pull the shafts out (would prob be easiest to take off the ARB etc). Just unbolt ur engine and drop out the bottom. voila!
oh youve got to obviously rest the engine on something and then lift car over the top.
thats the basics of it anyways
lol

General Baxter
03-07-06, 08:40 PM
or just pull it out the top on the piss \

draper
03-07-06, 08:40 PM
^^ yep, easy as !! its the putting it back in i struggle with lol

SRlew
03-07-06, 08:47 PM
yer i want to lift it out. how do the driveshaffts dissconect then, just the hub side?

want to dissconect every thing tommorw (day off) and then just pull it out on thursday (day off again)

whats the first thing to start dissconecting then? any guides any where, never donr this before, starting to s**t myself a little lol

and is it posibble to put the engine in with the box on aswell then?

cheers, lew

General Baxter
03-07-06, 08:49 PM
driveshafts just 'pop' out

i say 'pop' as like **** they just 'pop' out that easy lol

also why you taking the engine and box out?
what box is it?

SRlew
03-07-06, 08:57 PM
taking it out as i baught benji's old 1400 engine and box 40's etc, whole set up :D

the engine and box im taking out is just a standard 1400sr set up.

General Baxter
03-07-06, 09:00 PM
are they the same boxes? anything specail about benjis box?

benjis box hay up lol

SRlew
03-07-06, 09:06 PM
not sure if there the same or not. but id rather have a different one as mine is fooked.

are there any guides any where on taking out an engine?

draper
03-07-06, 09:31 PM
are they the same boxes? anything specail about benjis box?

benjis box hay up lol

i saw an advert in a public bog in derby saying benji had a very special box ;)

SRlew
03-07-06, 09:36 PM

lol

John
03-07-06, 09:42 PM
Undo engine mounts (watch yout toes Lol) and snip and pull! Refit in reverse order and put a bit of oil in!!!!

toby.d
03-07-06, 09:42 PM
when i fiited my corsa sri engine i brought a hayness manual to help with the wirring.just cause it was the first car engine i had every fitted and didnt have a clue.try nd note where stuff you are taking off goes as it helps alot when putting it back on together. and i fitted the engine with the box still conected lowering it from above. hope this helps abit.

General Baxter
03-07-06, 09:44 PM

Stuart says:
what were you doing in a public bog you big homo

lol :thumb:

draper id be carefull, ill have to do something that you will regret, please stop posting crap

SRlew
03-07-06, 09:46 PM
yer cheers toby.d, was it hard to fit the engine to the car with the box on?

lol right, im just going to attack it with some tools undo every thing and just see what happens.

Rexy
03-07-06, 09:58 PM
I find it a piece of pish fella, What you struggling on?

me n riggy usually rip an engine out in under an hour. If its the same engine thats going in your laffing, Should'nt take all that long.

Before you start it tho, and drive off. make sure eveythings done correclty. there are no leaks and only take it round the block a few times to make sure nothings falls off :D lol at least your near home is anything does happen.

once you have done it once fella, you will be amazed at how easy it is. Just use common sense and dont injure yourself :D

SRlew
03-07-06, 10:03 PM
cheers rexy! i'll post up here if i get stuck. i doubt i can do it under an hour more like 4 lol. will find out on thursday

toby.d
03-07-06, 10:22 PM
yeah double check everything before you drive it.iv managed to kill the head on mine from not tightening a water hose.and change all the oil and so forth wonce in.should be really easy as its the same engine going in as whats coming out.hope it goes ok.

Adam
04-07-06, 12:10 AM
Drop the engine out the bottom.
Its more of a tighter squeeze getting it through the top with the gearbox on.

Also, if you fitting another 1400 engine, why not just replace the bits off benji's engine onto your current engine? The head,inlet,t40s etc.

Save swapping engines then?

Mike
04-07-06, 08:46 AM
Its easy with an SR, mines in bits at the minute with the engine+box ready to be dropped and swapped into my other shell.

I'll be doing mine very soon so i can give some pointers if you need it as i go along with mine like

Btw, make sure you take the outlet manifold and rad out/off. it makes it alot easier trust me. espc if your not using a hoist!!!

SRlew
04-07-06, 08:59 AM
nah id rather just swap it all complete, im going to rebuild the one im taking out and put it in another maybe.

how do you go about dropping it out then? i take it id have to take of more parts?

Mike
04-07-06, 09:03 AM
drain and disconnect the rad, remove coil pack assembly, throttle cable, clutch cable etc, wireing from battery to alternator, outlet manifold, anti roll bars needs to come off, shafts off, slakcen engine mounts and drop the engine onto a trolly jack then lift the shell over the engine then pull the engine out. literally!

I've probably forgot a few bits tho but you get the idea.

SRlew
04-07-06, 09:13 AM
ah right that way seems fairly easy and i wouldnt have to hire a crane.

might look into doing it that way.

nice one

Mike
04-07-06, 09:15 AM
everyone ive done has been done like that. trolly jack under the box, and another under then engine (but NOT the sump obvioulsy) and just get some big strong mates to lift the shell up and literally pull the jacks out with the engine on top!

Hey presto! thats how i did a GSi conversion in the snow but the jacks more slid out then rolled! lol

rm7745
04-07-06, 05:50 PM
i have just taken out a 1200st and put it a 1300s engine in one day, with the gearboxs attatched
i pulled them out through the top of the car, piece of piss, didnt catch anywhere
put it back in through top of car..
i spose it does help having a replacement front panel that unbolts!!
hehe.........................

Ste L
04-07-06, 10:47 PM
I find it a piece of pish fella, What you struggling on?

me n riggy usually rip an engine out in under an hour. If its the same engine thats going in your laffing, Should'nt take all that long.

Before you start it tho, and drive off. make sure eveythings done correclty. there are no leaks and only take it round the block a few times to make sure nothings falls off :D lol at least your near home is anything does happen.

once you have done it once fella, you will be amazed at how easy it is. Just use common sense and dont injure yourself :D

an hour?!?!?

what about when we took that gte engine out in about 20 mins lol lol lol

SRlew
04-07-06, 11:06 PM
fookin hell ste you dont mess around do you! lol

right what about the driveshafts, how do they come out?

lew

Adam
05-07-06, 12:13 AM
Undo TCA, tie bar etc from the hub.

Undo the big hub nut holding the outer cv of the driveshaft(only loosen it)

Use something(like a tyre lever) to lever the inner cv out the diff, they should pop out, but sometimes they can be a bit hard to remove.
Have something ready to catch the oil that will leak out as soon as you remove the shaft.

Once the shafts out the diff, undo the hub nut fully and just pull the shaft out the hub.

Ste L
05-07-06, 12:14 AM
fookin hell ste you dont mess around do you! lol

right what about the driveshafts, how do they come out?

lew

shell was getting scrapped so.. this is how we did it

grinded driveshafts in half, chopped wires, and yanked up through top of car lol lol lol

as for the drive shafts, remove from hub, then just make sure they are perfectly stright, and give em a sharp pull, and they should pop out
this has always worked for me, never had one that hasn't come out easy yet

Mike
05-07-06, 08:30 AM
shell was getting scrapped so.. this is how we did it

grinded driveshafts in half, chopped wires, and yanked up through top of car lol lol lol

as for the drive shafts, remove from hub, then just make sure they are perfectly stright, and give em a sharp pull, and they should pop out
this has always worked for me, never had one that hasn't come out easy yet

Till they pop out and hit you in the b@lls like my mate done! lol

draper
05-07-06, 04:29 PM
i find 2 chisels is best way to get them out the diff

Riggy
05-07-06, 05:02 PM
lol i agree with ste the just pull out a peice of piss

as for that engine i think it was 45 min lads but we did spend about 10 min laughing when i broke them snips lol

Riggy
05-07-06, 05:06 PM
just get some big strong mates to lift the shell up

LOL Rexy picked his shell up on his own lol

Mike
05-07-06, 05:28 PM
LOL Rexy picked his shell up on his own lol

Why work when you can watch other people lol lol lol

Ste L
05-07-06, 06:05 PM
lol i agree with ste the just pull out a peice of piss

as for that engine i think it was 45 min lads but we did spend about 10 min laughing when i broke them snips lol

im sure it was less, but yea, lol @ rexy trying to cut though about 10 wires with a small pair of snip's and snapping them in half lol

SRlew
05-07-06, 06:26 PM
lol i dont realy wanna cut the shafts and wires etc. but that must be record time lol

right so if i take the front wheels off, undo that big nut, and dissconect the shaft from the hub then just pull on the shaft or get a bar/tyre lever to get it out.

going out to do it in a min, am bricking it lol

Ste L
06-07-06, 12:33 AM
no need to remove shafts, just take the tie bars off...

can drop the whole lot out then

Mike
06-07-06, 09:08 AM
Yeah leave shafts in! Less mess/oil as the gearbox oil cant leak out then. lol

SRlew
06-07-06, 09:18 AM
can i lift the engine out the top with them in?

right quick reply needed on this one. what part do i need to dissconect on the gear linkage, so im able to take the engine out? and how?

Mike
06-07-06, 09:27 AM
can i lift the engine out the top with them in?

No, lift the shell up and pull the engine out from underneath! :thumb:

SRlew
06-07-06, 09:30 AM
yer i might do actually. but do you know what bit to dissconect on the gear linkage and how?

Mike
06-07-06, 09:33 AM
Erm, therres a bolt about 13mm iirc thats on the end of the gear linkage, just undo and pull iirc? or is that a 106 GTi??

You know, what, i cant remeber now??

SRlew
06-07-06, 09:49 AM
right nice one will have a look, i remember therees a bolt after the likage parts on the bit that ges to the gear stick but on the end near the gearbox, that one?

Mike
06-07-06, 09:59 AM
the end near the gearbox, leave it connected to the gear stick or you'll me making extra work for your self.

SRlew
06-07-06, 10:23 AM
i'll have look in a min, somone just crashed in to me back end! i feel sick!

Mike
06-07-06, 11:22 AM
i'll have look in a min, somone just crashed in to me back end! i feel sick!

Noway! gutted! Much damage? or just bumpers cracked an that :confused: Hope its alright mate being as youve just bough a new engine an that!

I felt really sick when i crashed my yaris and then when i crashed my nova!

SRlew
06-07-06, 12:28 PM
right shafts off, gear linkage off. just need to take a couple of wires off the alternator and its good to be lifted out. thought id still crack on with it, didnt want to get myself more stressed and angry!

Mike
06-07-06, 01:11 PM
right shafts off, gear linkage off. just need to take a couple of wires off the alternator and its good to be lifted out. thought id still crack on with it, didnt want to get myself more stressed and angry!

Yhea you just about where i am now! I spent all last night removing the 1.0's tank and lines and replacing with the tank and lines of the SR!

Just gotta disconnect the alternator on my now and its out! lol

SRlew
06-07-06, 03:43 PM
right im stuck!! i need another person so gotta wait till my brother comes home now, i could only get the front right (passenger side) complete mount off, so the other two are catching. so i hope with two of us it'll come out.

Adam
06-07-06, 07:01 PM
Catching where?

Unbolt the mounts from the engine/gearbox

SRlew
06-07-06, 08:03 PM
well i waited for my brother to get home. i couldnt get the mount at the back off (near the gear linkage) and the one to the left of the exhaust manifold, got it out though, just needed someone to move the engine around while i lifted it out.

got it out in the end though guys, thanks for all your help!!
i was only out there from 8.30am till 6.30pm lol
will get it all welded up now and painted and then try fit the new one next week.
you'll probably see a thread asking how to fit an engine next week lol

cheers all!! :thumb: lew

Adam
06-07-06, 08:09 PM
Did you just unbolt the mounts off the engine/gearbox?
And then hoisted it out the top?

Congrats on your first engine removal :)

draper
06-07-06, 08:22 PM
well done buddy :thumb:

whats this about an accident tho :mad:

Rexy
06-07-06, 08:24 PM
good lad, And thats just given you a confidence boost :thumb: so your more likly to ive anything a go now :D

Adam
06-07-06, 08:29 PM
well done buddy :thumb:

whats this about an accident tho :mad:
http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65134

SRlew
06-07-06, 08:29 PM
yes long live the nova i did. the only complete mount set up thaat i could get off was the one on the right, the gearbox one. so i struggled with the other two on lol thats why it was catching on everything.

id do it again but next time id do it at my dads garage i recon, not on the road like i just did lol

yer some d**k crashed into a car on the other side of the road and then crashed into me, pics of it in styling forum.

and i think i realised why my gearbox was dead! finaly got the first shaft out and i was trying to catch the fluid, then none came out so i was lying on the floor for like five mins waiting for it to come pouring out, and guess what, nothing came out! lol

iv given most things a go but never with an engine, put digi clocks in and swaped dashes, thought they where bad enough, so iv finaly done the big one! well chuffed

draper
06-07-06, 08:44 PM
http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65134

cheers buddy - ill open my eyes next time !! lol