PDA

View Full Version : Today I bought...

Mike
02-07-06, 09:14 PM
A 3 owner from new, J reg Merit in white, with no sunroof, no seats, no trim, no engine & box BUT with genuine 52k miles on the shell and not one spot of rust anywhere and all the original paperwork!

?50 to re-shell the SR, bang on :thumb:

I'll try an get pics up of it later in the week but my rents are going ape so ill be working flat out doing an SR engined GSi rep in glacier white with white wheels!

All the donkey work of removing the engine and box, interior & sound deading etc has all ben done whilst it was sitting on my mates drive since December so that'll cut out a lot of messing around and getting shot of parts etc.

Me and Mike (Lurchio Nova) will be flat out and this will be the last nova he works on for a while as he's buggering off abroad to a warmer climate next week until Sept/Nov the lucky git!!

Should be good fun lol

But what I want to know is what do i do with log book for my SR? Send it off with the new chassis number? Then send the merit book off as being scrapped? :confused:

novamadman
02-07-06, 10:06 PM
sounds good get some pics up

shane

General Baxter
02-07-06, 10:10 PM
erm just scrap the sr and just change all the crap on the merits book

Mike
03-07-06, 08:26 AM
erm just scrap the sr and just change all the crap on the merits book

Thing is i want to keep the K570 reg of my SR, so do i send my SR book of with the new chassis number, then send the merit book of as scrapped?

SR engine will be prepped to be dropped tonight and is coming out on tuesday afternoon. Then all the suspension and brakes etc will be changed over along with the interior towards the end of thew week.

And in a few weeks the merit's of to the bodyshop for a freshen up with pearlescent lacquer and my GSi kit!

2 weeks and the merit should be up and running! With an added bailey header tank and an remote oil cooler :thumb:

craig green
03-07-06, 09:30 AM
sounds good mate. can we expect this to become a WIP thread with pics??

Mike
03-07-06, 09:32 AM
sounds good mate. can we expect this to become a WIP thread with pics??

Erm, yes lol, but ill post all the pics up once its done, well in one peice and working as opppose to working on the car and posting pics at the same time! lol

Nath
03-07-06, 12:42 PM
give us a shout if you need any help then mate, im only 10 mins from you

Mike
03-07-06, 12:55 PM
yeah will do! i want to get the engine out, then in the merit by friday and up and running by then!

Matt2107
03-07-06, 01:01 PM
Good on yah mate.
Its good to know your gonna keep the reg.

Adam
03-07-06, 01:23 PM
I dont think you can swap the reg?
If the new shells J-reg, i dont think your allowed have a K-reg plate.
A private plate can only be older than the cars original plate i think.

And i dont think you can change the chassis number either?

Mike
03-07-06, 01:42 PM
the K reg isnt private, its the original SR reg. Im gonna change the SR's chassis number on its log book, then scrap the merit and send its book away as being borken for parts.

So that way, the shell can be re-used if its been broken for parts :thumb:

Mike
03-07-06, 01:43 PM
A private plate can only be older than the cars original plate i think.

Younger, not older. Or the same prefix'd plate. :thumb:

Adam
03-07-06, 02:03 PM
Can you change the chassis number?
I never thought you could.

How can you put the Merits chassis number onto the SRs logbook, and then send the Merits logbook off to say its been scrapped?

Mike
03-07-06, 02:36 PM
Can you change the chassis number?
I never thought you could.

How can you put the Merits chassis number onto the SRs logbook, and then send the Merits logbook off to say its been scrapped?

Easy, send the SR logbook of with the correct amendments (the new chassis number & colour) then send off the merit with the SR chassis number, then resend it as being scrapped :thumb:

Ash
03-07-06, 09:47 PM
see i saw told that you need a brand new shell to keep the reg and that, other wise you'd have to use a 'Q' plate....?

A

Mike
04-07-06, 08:29 AM
see i saw told that you need a brand new shell to keep the reg and that, other wise you'd have to use a 'Q' plate....?

A

I'll find out when the logbook's comes back i suppose. If i have to use a Q reg, then it'll need a VIC check and an engineers report.

Anyway, last nite i got the manifold off, disconnected the throttle cable and ignition loom. Grille, bumper and the rear trimmings out/off etc.

Tonight off comes the fuel tank and lines to be swapped, the rad will be drained and taken out into storage for a bit, along with the entire front leg/hubs, dics and calipers etc.

The rear suspension will be off by wednesday and swapped over so ill be left with a spare set of -60mm springs off the merit which have been on there for some reason? Along with a spare set of doors? :thumb:

Mike

RJM25R
04-07-06, 08:40 AM
You'd do better to use the chssis number off the k reg and then u can keep the k plate, otherwise you are definitely having a q-reg matey! Insurance will be loaded for having a q-plate....

Lee H
04-07-06, 08:44 AM
I agree, if you do what you are planning to the car will have to go for a VIC test anyway, seems a lot of hassle just to keep it on a K plate, who cares what reg it is. :confused:

Mike
04-07-06, 08:51 AM
its gotta go for a VIC check anyway as it was a stolen recovery (the SR and the merit!)

Ive posted of the SR logbook with the merit chassis number, and the merit book with the SR chassis number.

The when the new SR book comes back as a 1.0 SR ill send it off again to be scrapped

Mike
04-07-06, 08:59 AM
You'd do better to use the chssis number off the k reg and then u can keep the k plate, otherwise you are definitely having a q-reg matey! Insurance will be loaded for having a q-plate....

How can i use the SR chassis number when thats the shell i want to scrap as its fooked! :confused:

I'm getting ever so slightly confused now? :confused:

TommySR
04-07-06, 12:01 PM
Cant wait to see some pics of the reshell matey

Mike
05-07-06, 08:52 AM
Right, last night got all the front legs and hubs of the Spin/Merit thingy and got all the useless crap out of its engine bay. And hacked the old 1/0 exhaust system off with a disc cutter! So its now sitting on axle stands! lol

The SR's front legs are waiting to be removed as we speak and swapped over. SR clutch cable and ALL electrics now disconnected. Rad + fan now out and living in the shed! lol

Just waiting on a pair of TCA's for the Merit as ive got a new rack + column to go on it.

Not all that much progress really but not bad for two of us in about 2/3 hours? Just gotta sort out this rack and fuel tank on the merit and the engine is gonna be swapped then.

PS. photo's to come as ive got a few of the nice new minted shell in varoius states and the SR in bits lol lol

If anyone's after any parts aswell let me kow as ive got a car full! Yours for free if you can collect lol