PDA

View Full Version : I need advice lads....

Anonymous
04-10-00, 11:51 AM
Right...I want to take the shitty vinyl off the side of a 1.3 Sr (F reg if that helps?!?!), is the rubbing strip on the side of the car just glued on or riveted on? If it's just stuck, can i take it off, along with the shitty viynl, and then t-cut the glue remains off? Obviously the paint under the vinyl will be a slightly different shade to the rest of the paintwork, but will a good all over t-cut sort it out to a degree where it is not deadly obvious?

Also...(i'll shut up in a minute!!)

I want to colour code the bumpers and rear spoiler. I know that to do this i should use wet and dry to smooth them, then undercoat them..bla bla bla...but has any one got any techniques that would make this job less of a night mare? How do i go about colour coding the rear spoiler? can i unbolt it and take it off..then do the bizz? or is it stuck on and hard to get off?

I know it will take a bit of explaining to answer my question, but i need the advice so i don?t fuck it up!!!

Any advice given would be highly appreciated, cheers lads....

Happy Motoring

Ged

Anonymous
04-10-00, 12:31 PM
the rubber strip is stuck on with stick foam tape stuff, heat it first (with a hairdryer) and it makes it alot easier to come off!

Anonymous
04-10-00, 12:35 PM
the strips on the side are just stuck on and the rear spoiler is solid to take off because it is very strongly stuck on.i left mine on when i sprayed it and it looks fab.

Anonymous
04-10-00, 01:11 PM
Ged firstly the rear spoiler, it may be best to paint it on the car, it is fastened on along the top with four bolts, the rest i stuck on with this black shit which you need to cut off with a stanley knife which is a bastard. Also if you bend it after it is paited the paint will crack, mine did. The only problem is you will have to get a large sheet and mask the whole of the car to avoid overspay (ALL OF IT!). The choice is yours tackle the black shit or the masking.

The bumpers, firstly fill any scratches ect, do any chopping/ filling you want to. Give them a quick going over with wet and dry to remove any bad bits and give the paint a key, a dual action sander will make this easier NOT AN ORBITAL THOUGH. Clean the bumpers Thoroughly, now paint them in high build etch primer, this must have a flexible additive added (for plastics) to stop it cracking. The high build primer is alot thicker than normal paint and will fill all those dimples, next you must wet flat (using wet and dry and water) the whole of the bumper to get rid of the dimples which still show. Once this is done and cleaned you are ready for the top coat, I would use 2 or 3 coats of two pack paint again with a flexible additive to stop it cracking. Note two pack contains scyanide and you need an air fed mask to use it! (it could kill you). This will give you a bomb proof paint job that won't chip or crack. Next wet flat any iregularities with about 1000 or 1200 grain and finally polish with rubbing compound. It will probably pay you to do the prep work/finishing and get a spray shop to do the primer and top coat spraying. The beter the painting the less polishing is needed afterwards. Believe me I spent three weeks wet flatting and polishing my car every night. Don,t try to paint them with an aerosol, it will fall off after a week.

Anonymous
04-10-00, 02:12 PM
Ged, I had mine removed but I can't remember how because my mates dad garage did it but I think they heated it like the other lads said but I would also repray the lower half of the car like mine (Alex William's 1.3SR) check it out and see what you think.

Anonymous
04-10-00, 02:25 PM
Ged, if you are going to the trouble of colour coding your bumpers why not fill the grooves to make it look more modern. I have filled the lower ones on mine but left the main one. See the picture above in featured cars Paul Jackson 2.0 sr

Anonymous
04-10-00, 02:26 PM
Ged, if you are going to the trouble of colour coding your bumpers why not fill the grooves to make it look more modern. I have filled the lower ones on mine but left the main one. See the picture above in featured cars Paul Jackson 2.0 sr

Anonymous
04-10-00, 05:59 PM
right **** aint it!

Anonymous
04-10-00, 07:15 PM
my bumpers are painted witn areosols and the havent cracked yet!!!
pjs sorted with the prep ideas though and its hard to paint with aroesols if u havent had a lot ov experiance

paint the spoiler on the cr coz they crack to easy
its all in the prep if u do it properlly they wont crack