PDA

View Full Version : my new nova

greg1.4
28-06-06, 10:33 PM
i have bought a black nova 1.2. it has been lowered 60mm and has a gsi spoiler and racing gear knob etc. I am wanting to make it into a right tidy little motor for when i am 17 so could do with some advice what to do?

Cheers

novamadman
29-06-06, 12:45 AM
i have bought a black nova 1.2. it has been lowered 60mm and has a gsi spoiler and racing gear knob etc. I am wanting to make it into a right tidy little motor for when i am 17 so could do with some advice what to do?

Cheers

start with removing the gear knob

what do u want - bodykit/nice standard tidy look

- fast/slow

shane

Welsh Dan
29-06-06, 02:24 AM
How long until you are 17?

If you've got time, rebuild the engine and get the carb cleaned and checked so that you're running standard power. Get any repairs that need doing or might need doing soon out of the way before you start. New discs+pads+tyres depending on whats on there and the mileage on them.

greg1.4
29-06-06, 01:49 PM
it has brand new tyres on it, i am thinking about putting a 1.4 sr engine in but dont know yet. I want to put a 5 speed box in it. I want a standardish looking car. I hate body kits! I have koni's for it and gsi side skirts.

nva_sr
29-06-06, 02:47 PM
i will be seel9ing me astra gsi alloys in grey metal flake they have fire ston tyres and will be having two new tyre soon. om if you interested. and as for the style go your own custom route looke mint to you that what counts. but id make sure all the basic work done cus mine was in rite state (but im learning to so )

Welsh Dan
29-06-06, 07:28 PM
Think about insurance if you're modifying at 17.

ade
29-06-06, 11:07 PM
the 1st thing you need to do is get the damn thing insured!

With the mods that are on it now, based on your age it'll set you back over ?1,000 for more insurers on fully comp.

Dont be daft and stick yourself on your parents insurance either - bite the bullet and earn your No claims discount as soon as you can!

I'd leave the mods till after youve built up some bonus (unless your rich in which case mod away!)

Most mainstream insurers will have problems with your age and the mods that're on it so far - leave it as it is - take your time and be safe

Then start modding...

Ade
(who knows about insurance)

greg1.4
30-06-06, 09:49 AM
yep thats a good idea. I am going to keep it pretty standard justy now. I will keep the gsi spoiler, side skirts and i am wanting a digi dash. Ohh and the springs. If i dont smash it or summit like that when i am 17 i wil then put a bigger engine in etc....
Cheers for all the advice.

Dar
30-06-06, 09:56 AM
My advice would be to :-

Clean it inside and out.
Check the breaks all round and replace anything that needs replacing.
Do an oil change
Change the water
Change the break fluid
Check all the bushes and bottom ball joints etc
Basically check the car out and replace any badly worn/broken bits.

Doing these things will get you used to what goes where on the car as well as making the car better as you go. Keep it as standard as poss until you have been driving a while. There is real truth in the saying you learn to drive, pass your test and they you LEARN to drive.

Matt2107
30-06-06, 12:27 PM
Direct line will insure named drivers so it might be worth giving them a call.
Dunno how mod friendly they are but if your not driving it then who knows.

Oh and there's nothing wrong with gear knobs.

Matt2107
30-06-06, 12:29 PM
Tighten up the suspension components.
Stuff like track rod ends are pretty cheap and a good way to learn spannering.