PDA

View Full Version : 1.4SR Needs more power!!

Anonymous
04-10-00, 11:48 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows what the cheapest and best way of giving my '91 SR a bit more power, so I can keep up with the GTE's and XR2's. A k&n bolt on filter is on the way and I have a Janspeed backbox, but I don't really what to go for next??

Anonymous
04-10-00, 11:56 AM
There's quite a few options...but it depends on your wallet as you say...

A cheap way of getting more power andtorque would be to get your cylinder head ported and skimmed. This will give you more grunt and maybe the extra power needed to show them blue oval boys the power of the nova!

Other ways include high lift cams and weber carbs, but if you are after cheap power, i think head work would be your best option.

Hope this helps

Happy Motoring

Ged

Anonymous
04-10-00, 02:08 PM
Hi, I agree with Ged, but I would save up! and get a weber 32/34 carb (around ?198) along with a K&N air filter. I've just got my cylinder head ported and skimmed and it seems to pickup better! ohh I would also get a full system exhaust, good luck. Alex.

Anonymous
04-10-00, 06:56 PM
See i dunno about this airfilter and exhaust lark.does it actually make the car quicker or just give a better base for more mods.
NEway old weber carb is a good job, there were goinn for cheap on that novatrader link above but if it were me i'd look into twin 40s.The k&n u've got comiin wont do the weber(i tried one it was to small and u need a 4 stud pattern not the 3stud on the orig carb.
I was changin my valve stem seals and then decided i'd put an astra si(multipoint injection) head on.big power gains. I was well impressed bigger valves, straight thru chambers(not that crappy swirl) and then i got it skimmed and ported myself.Put a bigger 1300sr inlet manifold on as well(u have to modify the head though.Quick as it'll take the majority of gtes and will munch xr2s(most over here r scrapers neway).
Good luck.