PDA

View Full Version : blue smoke and smell of fuel

pingu
27-06-06, 03:00 PM
when i pull off there seems to be a large puff of blue smoke nearly everytime, and wehn i give the car a good boot i get a strong smell of fuel ?

any ideas ?

think its anything to worry about? The car doesnt seem to be losing performance at all and still pulls strong through all the gears, someone suggested headgasket might be on its way out but if so how can i tell, or is it just runnin rich ?

help im stuck and im thinking of taking it up the strip at usc

Mike
27-06-06, 03:16 PM
check the fuel tank, there renowned for rustng and splitting!

Stuart
27-06-06, 03:24 PM
"pull off" inffering lift off.... its more than likely to be yoru valve stem seals. but thats a ehad off job anyway so head skim/gasket etc is needed too

SuperNova!
27-06-06, 04:30 PM
If it was running rich the smoke would be more blacky, blue smoke is normally oil burning,

Does it smoke more if you have let it co**** down a hill in say 4th then give it throttle at the bottom?

Or smoke more if it has been standing for a few hours then is started?

If it does it is most probably the valve stem rubbers.

Or does it smoke more when you are booting it and give blue smoke?

If so possibly the piston rings are worn but unlikely.

The headgasket gone from an oil gallery into a cylinder is also a possibility.

2.A,

Check the breather pipes are not blocked this can cause blue smoke.

Does it give black smoke on hard acceleration?

If so it could be running too rich and would need to be set up and or check no pipes have come off under the bonnet.

Also worth checking that the choke isnt stuck on.

Fuel tank leakage.

Put a large piece of cardboard under the fuel tank when you park up for the night and check it in the morning, if it is stained you need a new tank which I have for sale.

hope this helps

:thumb:

Adam
27-06-06, 07:21 PM
Hmm, sounds like overfueling=bore wash, which has worn the piston rings so oil is seeping past them into the cylinders=blue smoke when you accelerate....

Lee
27-06-06, 08:49 PM
Hmm, sounds like overfueling=bore wash, which has worn the piston rings so oil is seeping past them into the cylinders=blue smoke when you accelerate....

I completely agree, thats what i was going to say lol

pingu
28-06-06, 12:58 PM
ok so if this is the problem as above what do i need to do and how much ?

Adam
28-06-06, 01:05 PM
Do a compression test dry, and then do a wet test(with a spoon of oil iirc) in the cylinder, if the compression goes up on the wet test, then the rings are worn.

I think thats right anyway /\ Lol

Stuart
28-06-06, 03:01 PM
thats largely the test lol.

to "fix" it will be a hone + new rings at minimum. at worst your looking at a rebore and new pistsons. so from about ?100 + rebuild gaskets etc to ?600ish with rebuild costs... might aswell "upgrade" while your there with ARP rod bolts, de seamsed and peened rods etc....

then have your fuelling setup (maybe get that done now) so it dosent screw your lovely new engine up

Gunzi
28-06-06, 03:10 PM
Same symptoms as when a piston ring went on mine. If I booted it I got a cloud of blue smoke and if I revved it at lights I could create quite an effective smoke screen.

It cost me ?300 to get the bottom end fully rebuilt, I stripped it to the block then gave the block to an engineering firm to do the rebuild. I would have done that myself but I didn't have any spare time at that time and needed the car to be on the road!

pingu
06-07-06, 02:36 PM
i got quoted ?28.20 to skim the head
?18 for a new headgasket set
am i best to change the rings while im at it just incase its them?
also im getting the valve stem seals sorted and all the valves reseated or is that the same thing lol.
whats this about bottom end ? :(
how do i tell if its gone

Mike
06-07-06, 02:39 PM
New valve seats and new valve stem seals are different things