PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack Bearing

novamadman
27-06-06, 11:20 AM
Fitting a quaife quick rack. On the smaller of the two shafts there is a small bearing. Studying the quaife shaft which doesnt have the bearing on it thats why im taking it off the other one, there is a indentation just beside where the bearing sits around it, and on the standard shaft there seems to be a sleeve pushed up behind the bearing and tightened down into that indentation, i may be wrong thatts what it looks like. I know theres a few people that have had the rack open, and fitted quick racks so what was does that bearing come off!! and whats the story when fitting it again

cheers
shane

craig green
27-06-06, 11:49 AM
Isnt one of them a damper to slow the rack movements?

novamadman
27-06-06, 12:07 PM
Isnt one of them a damper to slow the rack movements?

one of what

Stuart
27-06-06, 12:58 PM
you pull the bearing off the existing pinon and hammer it into place on the new one.. simple relaly

novamadman
27-06-06, 01:56 PM
you pull the bearing off the existing pinon and hammer it into place on the new one.. simple relaly

hammer it which way though, i was thinking a bit of gentle persuasion but didnt want to wreck the bearing,

what holds it there?

shane

novamadman
27-06-06, 02:04 PM
btw stuart - it was in reverse lmao :roll:

Stuart
27-06-06, 02:40 PM
muppet lol.

erm the bearing comes off the shaft up the long part.... iirc (cant remember fully. get a pic up)

garyc
27-06-06, 06:08 PM
Got to a bearing shop, show them the old bearing and get a new one. I cant remember why I put a new one on perhaps it had gone notchy when I tried to remove it!

novamadman
27-06-06, 07:02 PM
muppet lol.

erm the bearing comes off the shaft up the long part.... iirc (cant remember fully. get a pic up)

i know what you mean, but behind the bearing theres like a sleeve pressed in to stop it moving back that way, so i imagine by the time you beat the bearing to get the sleeve moved the bearing willbe shagged

shane