PDA

View Full Version : which catch tank do i get?

SRlew
25-06-06, 05:35 PM
right im looking to get a oil catch tank. but what one do i need?

its got 2 pipe bits that i need to connect to i think. one big one and the other is a small one, or do i only need to use the one?

help aprriciated! lew

SRlew
27-06-06, 01:36 PM
any one know which one would work on my 1400?

cheers, lew

craig green
27-06-06, 01:59 PM
Ive sold a few alloy bottles for use as a catch tank. People mod them to fit there own application.

Like a 1/2 litre SIGG bottle.

novamadman
27-06-06, 02:03 PM
right im looking to get a oil catch tank. but what one do i need?

its got 2 pipe bits that i need to connect to i think. one big one and the other is a small one, or do i only need to use the one?

help aprriciated! lew

where do the pipes come from?

shane

craig green
27-06-06, 02:04 PM
Ive sold a few alloy bottles for use as a catch tank. People mod them to fit there own application.

Like a 1/2 litre SIGG bottle.

SRlew
27-06-06, 03:50 PM
you got any pics craig? got any?

bellow the inlet novamadman

mikey14sr
27-06-06, 06:02 PM
blank off the small pipe, and run the big one to the catch tank, if the tank is vented

Philsutton
27-06-06, 07:44 PM
i just used an old coke bottle

mikey14sr
28-06-06, 07:46 PM
i just used an old coke bottle

It's also agood idea to be able to see how much oil is in it, with the coke bottle you can't go wrong.lol

SRlew
28-06-06, 08:51 PM
ah right! whats best to blank off the small pipe with then? somthing a bit more permenat than tape lol and the tanks i were looking at are vented yes.

but the tanks iv see have to pipes coming out of it...? so one going into it, but whats the other for? or can you get them with just the one pipe coming from it?

ah iv always wonderd when iv seen coke bottles in some cars what there for. that explaines it i think lol

novamadman
29-06-06, 12:43 AM
ah right! whats best to blank off the small pipe with then? somthing a bit more permenat than tape lol and the tanks i were looking at are vented yes.

but the tanks iv see have to pipes coming out of it...? so one going into it, but whats the other for? or can you get them with just the one pipe coming from it?

ah iv always wonderd when iv seen coke bottles in some cars what there for. that explaines it i think lol

bolt and jubilee clip

Mike
29-06-06, 08:57 AM

A lot of rally car's^ jus put some cloth or something in the bottle to absord any fluid so it doesnt go everywhere in the bay :thumb:

SRlew
29-06-06, 10:12 AM
ah right not a bad idea ^ i'll use a coke bottle till i got some spare money for a tank, but does it have to be ventilated? if so what do you do about that?

Mike
29-06-06, 10:52 AM
use a fanta fruit twist bottle with the inch cut of the top of it as the neck closes into a smaller diameter thus making it easier to wire tie it to the hose.

A nice trick that's been used all to often when ive been out servicing on the BTRDA and Stars of Future rallies! lol

SRlew
29-06-06, 12:04 PM
lol a fanta fruit twist cut down to the narrower bit, just been the shop as well :roll:

but what about ventilation or will it be fine with out it?

mikey14sr
29-06-06, 06:36 PM
just drill a few holes around the top. the tanks you've seen may have had two small pipes coming out, one at the bottom and one at the top for a piece of clear tubing to act as a sight glass to see how much is in there.

SRlew
29-06-06, 09:33 PM
nah iv seen some with the site tube in, but iv also seen some that have the 2 pipes coming out of it at the top, would that just be , one for the oil to go in, and the other for a breather filter....?