PDA

View Full Version : Turning Boost Valve off ?

GOZ
22-06-06, 08:07 PM
Hi this is probs a dumb question but i dont really know anything about these power boost valves. My corsa has one fitted and im aware that i will have to turn it off for mot or i will fail emissions just wanna check which way is going to turn it off so to speak and which way turns it up even more. The lad i had the car off said that you take the first little bolt off the top an this is just to stop you accidently turning the main one if you follow my meaning then he said mark the top of the next little bolt which a marker or something and to turn off turn it the opposite way to opening a bottle of coke so clockwise an count how many times the mark you made comes round so for example say it was 3 and a quarter turns until it stopped then he said you will know exactly how much to turn it to get it back in the same place as it was. So is this right or not as i have got my mot on sat so need to get it turned all the way off. Cheers

Scott

The Simps
22-06-06, 08:50 PM
You don't need to turn it off just turn it down. The best way to do it is on the emissions test machine.

If the MOT teste ris nice you can ask him to do it on the test ie keep turning it down until it passes!

Simps.

GOZ
22-06-06, 08:55 PM
Thing is if i do it that way keep turning it down untill it passes on the machine i wont know exactly where to put it back when done by turning it right off i can count the turns as stated an it will be back in just the rite place as where it it now was set up by a local performance place on there rolling road so where it is now is where it needs to be for optimum performance if you see what i mean.

Stuart
22-06-06, 09:13 PM
is the engine essentially standard? (no i dont count air filters and exhausts as non standard lol)

if so then you really dont need to be running high pressure anyway. get it set to 3bar and leave it alone

GOZ
22-06-06, 09:51 PM
Well its got ported and polished head, superchip, the boost valve, ashley 4-1, full stainless magnex system, de-cat.

Stuart
22-06-06, 09:53 PM
standard engine then ;)

it needs to be set to what ever the "supership" deals with and id guess thats 3 bar

GOZ
22-06-06, 10:00 PM
Hmm fair enough then but we seem to be slippin away from my initial question lol i never wanted a debate on whether i should be running high pressure or not just if my description of how to turn it down is right because tbh i dont have a clue about these boost valve things lol. Just want to know if im rite in thinking that clockwise is less pressure and anti clockwise is more pressure. As for what the valve should be set at the car has been stood awile and a few minor parts have changed slightly so its going to have a rolling road set up at a reliable place near me soon they will re-map, set up fuel pressure and all that stuff anyhow to get optimum performance.

Stuart
22-06-06, 10:05 PM
would love to know how they intened to "remap" the std non mappable ecu lol

anyway.
get it setup before the MOT.. simple huh ;)

GOZ
22-06-06, 10:09 PM
Well its not a std ecu is it if its been superchiped i assumed you can re-map a superchip then again like i say i aint got a clue lol i just drive dont really kno much about cars tbh. An if i get it set up before mot im still going to need to whack the valve off for the mot because it will fail emissions.

Stuart
22-06-06, 10:11 PM
it wont fail the emissions if its set up before it you moron. FFS
anyway its 99% feesable that youve got a lambda sensor so its essentially backing out any increase in fuelling that the increased fuel pressure is giving...

as you say you dont know.. :p
you cant remap a superchip.

GOZ
22-06-06, 10:14 PM
lol God knows im just going on what the lad told me who i brought it off he just said to me look you will fail emmisions unless you A. put a cat on for the mot and B. turn the power boost valve off.

The Simps
22-06-06, 11:23 PM
What car have you got again?

A superchip is a "piggyback" chip. It tricks the ecu with incorrect values to make it stick more fuel in and alter the ignition. It IS NOT A REMAP.

Simps.