PDA

View Full Version : Car not starting...

Jos
21-06-06, 11:41 PM
Well, the title says it all really.

I've had an intermittant problem for the past few months, where the car fails to start, and would sometimes cut out whilst driving. Usually, waiting for 5minutes, and trying again cures it, however the problem has slowly become more acute, and now 95% of the time will not start, let alone run for more than afew minutes. When the problem arises, the engine management light does come on.

The nova is an SRi, with a C14SE.

The engine will turn, and spark, but will fire only occasionally.

I've replaced the following, in an attempt to cure the problem:

Induction Manifold Sensor
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor
Coil & Trigger box
Crank Shaft Sensor
Intake Air Temperature Sensor

Also considering changing the Oxygen/Lambda Sensor.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Getting very frustrated, lost all faith in the car afew days ago and nearly sold her :mad: but I'm back on track now, and keen to find (and solve) this accursed problem.

(also - haven't been on NL for sometime;
how do I become a premium member?
how can I access the features pages?
how can I add my feature again?)

Thanks in advance, Jos. :thumb:

Adam
22-06-06, 12:18 AM
I'd try changing the fuel pump relay, its in the engine bay on the firewall.
Its about the only thing left you haven't changed.

Jos
22-06-06, 12:31 AM
Thank you Long Live, I will look into it :)

Adam
22-06-06, 12:41 AM
(also - haven't been on NL for sometime;
how do I become a premium member?
how can I access the features pages?
how can I add my feature again?)

1-Click User Cp>Subscriptions
2-There aren't any at the minute
3-You cant yet

:thumb:

Will F
22-06-06, 08:58 AM
Deffo sounds like the FPR...

Check to see if you have a EML when you turn the ignition on on the dash...

If not, its the FPR

Jos
22-06-06, 09:00 AM
Yep, management light is there, and always has been when I turn the ignition on.... I kinda figured it was something to do with my immobilisor - you say it's the Fuel PR?

Jos
22-06-06, 10:18 AM
Right, I have both an Oxygen Sensor (these can be pretty touchy from my experience) and the proposed Fuel Pump Control Relay on order, both coming in the next few days.

Assuming neither of these cure the problem, is there anything else I should consider?

Cheers for the replies so far guys :thumb: appreciated

Adam
22-06-06, 03:03 PM
It wont be the oxygen sensor causing the problem.

If its not the fuel pump relay, i dont have a clue,Lol.
The relay is a common fault, it works fine when cold but when it use a faulty one heats up and eventually overheats stopping working, once it cools down its fine again(which is why 5mins later it starts)

db_1.2
22-06-06, 03:34 PM
Personally if there is this sort of problem the first thing i look at would be the dizzy, coil, leads, and finally the spark plugs (see how many times you can get electicuted!) This is just an idea as this is ALWAYS the first thing i check, other then that it could be something wrong with pump, lines, injectors? you did say it was an sri right? Anyway i doubt that you havnt already checked the ignition system.

Riggy
22-06-06, 04:38 PM
have you flashed the fault code out

if not goe and stick a bit of wire in pin 1&2 of the diagnostics plug and when you turn the ignition on count the number of times that the ecu light flashes

guide to all the fault codes and how to do it HERE (http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm)