PDA

View Full Version : Accelorator pedal cable spring - remove?

beavy69
21-06-06, 02:09 PM
Has anyone ever removed that spring on the accelerator cable (inside the car) behind the cable actuating part of the pedal arm and replaced it with a solid spacer?

I know its there to stop you whacking open the throttle valves too violently but with a skilled touch I reckon a more direct cable pull could be beneficial for pulling away as you want as much progressive power as poss without wheel spin which you could feel better without the deceptive spring.

Thoughts?

draper
21-06-06, 02:12 PM
erm, i wouldnt start removing stuff vauxhall intendered to be there !! its obviously there for a good reason

it doenst rain often so ill remove my wiper stalk

beavy69
21-06-06, 02:17 PM
Vauxhall have to cater for everyone and the average car doesn't take such things as flooring it into consideration.

If you want to remove your wiper stalk you could install one of those rain sensors lol

draper
21-06-06, 02:19 PM
now there a plan !!

Stuart
21-06-06, 02:30 PM
The spring isnt jsut there to rate limit the accerator depression. Its there to assist in returning the throttle plate to 0 deg... yes i know there are springs all over the carb/tb's etc but every little helps.
Also you would lose the pedal feel and wind up all over the place. Ive had my spring off for a while (granted not driven the car) and it feels awfull with no weight behind it.... but hey you go for it, just dont whinge when the car kangaroos all the time

beavy69
21-06-06, 02:35 PM
cheers for the insight Stu I think i'll jus block it without removing it as a test see what happens. I'll let you know (when I get around to it I should be revising now lol)

Mike
21-06-06, 02:54 PM
I know its there to stop you whacking open the throttle valves too violently but with a skilled touch I reckon a more direct cable pull could be beneficial for pulling away as you want as much progressive power as poss without wheel spin which you could feel better without the deceptive spring.

Thoughts?

thats why in my dads generation everyone used to tighten there throttle cables super tight! lol

Oh those mini clubman GT's and old skool capri's! lol lol god im old! lol

beavy69
17-08-06, 08:11 PM
OK results of this at last.

1st: I don't have a typical throttle arm on the carb so I added my own fairly tight spring here to stiffen things up. It goes from the trottle arm to a metal loop held in place by one of the bolts on the inlet manifold.

The spring on the cable end of the accelorator peddal in the car: I did not fully block this and make it solid but I have stiffened it with rubber washers.

That for me is the best combo and it responds and feels much better all round.