PDA

View Full Version : info needed on track cars

SRlew
21-06-06, 01:07 PM
right after realising i carnt afford to have 2 cars on the road, im now thinking of leaving the nova for trackdays etc, but need some info.

does a trackcar have to have MOT, tax?
and what sort of insurance do you get for them?

want as much info as possible please guys:thumb:

cheers, lew

Mike
21-06-06, 01:15 PM
yes, will be needing MOT & Tax. You can get race car insurance, primarily for mega ??? rally cars though

SRlew
21-06-06, 01:17 PM
so really itd just be like paying for the 2 cars any way then.

looks like im still f**ked.

Mike
21-06-06, 01:23 PM
you got it.

draper
21-06-06, 01:46 PM
turn the nova into a track car, and buy a mountain bike !!

problem solved !

SuperNova!
21-06-06, 01:55 PM
I dont think you need a MOT or TAX, if the car is just going to be kept off the road and trailered to a track where it will be used on private land?

Someone ??

craig green
21-06-06, 01:58 PM
If its SORN'd & the track day organisers permit unroadworthy cars the yer fine.

Chris
21-06-06, 01:58 PM
out of the tracks I have been to there has never been a requirement for tax and MOT, nor insurance. With a nova TBH I wouldnt bother with track cover unless you have ????'s stood in it.

Chris

draper
21-06-06, 02:04 PM
im sure ive read in adverts that the car needs to be road legal and have track day insurance, what if you plough you nova into some guys lambo !! if it was motorsport then its different because theres just scrutinaring to get through

surely your insurance wouldnt be expensive if its solely for the track ?
an mot would only be neccesary to make sure the cars safe
as for tax id say it doenst matter because a racetrack isnt a public highway\

theyd be my rules if owned a race track

Mike
21-06-06, 02:39 PM
track insurance isnt as cheap as people think! theres alot more risk of high speed colllision involved! Not as in a fatal, just a smack like.

Stuart
21-06-06, 03:32 PM
You sign a disclaimer stating that if you bin it/hit someone else then its your/their beef... most insurance is invalid the second you roll onto track property lol.
The car dosent need to be road legal. Some places simply state "no race cars" eg single seat cars like van deimens etc.

Lee
21-06-06, 03:39 PM
im sure ive read in adverts that the car needs to be road legal and have track day insurance, what if you plough you nova into some guys lambo !! if it was motorsport then its different because theres just scrutinaring to get through

This is a grey area to be honest. My nova isnt taxed or MOT'd or insured, and ive never had a problem at a track. Combe advertise that you MUST display a valid tax disc (which would suggest your MOT'd and Taxed) but they let off dedicated track cars, probably for the following reasons at a guess..

1. A specifically built track car will normally be built by an enthusiast with at least an ounce of sense, and normally to quite a high spec. Therefore, track cars are normally very well maintained anyway.

2. The track day organisers would lose a lot of money if they turned us away as you can imagine, were normally the ones who keep coming back, and are normally a lot safer, more courteous and have more experience on track.

Track insurance is NOT compulsory. You mentioned ramming into a lambo? Well Mr Lambo driver will have signed a little piece of paper before going on track indicating he was doing so at his own risk, as you would have done. He put his lambo in the firing line, therefore its his responsibility. But if you DO ram him, you will no doubt have been breaking the rules of the day anyway and will have to face the consequenses. A genuine accident on track will normally be declared a 50 50 by organisers anyway.

Obviously, the only track i know of where you DEFINATELY need to be road legal is the Ring.

Mike
21-06-06, 03:51 PM
This is a grey area to be honest. My nova isnt taxed or MOT'd or insured, and ive never had a problem at a track. Combe advertise that you MUST display a valid tax disc (which would suggest your MOT'd and Taxed) but they let off dedicated track cars, probably for the following reasons at a guess..

1. A specifically built track car will normally be built by an enthusiast with at least an ounce of sense, and normally to quite a high spec. Therefore, track cars are normally very well maintained anyway.

2. The track day organisers would lose a lot of money if they turned us away as you can imagine, were normally the ones who keep coming back, and are normally a lot safer, more courteous and have more experience on track.

Track insurance is NOT compulsory. You mentioned ramming into a lambo? Well Mr Lambo driver will have signed a little piece of paper before going on track indicating he was doing so at his own risk, as you would have done. He put his lambo in the firing line, therefore its his responsibility. But if you DO ram him, you will no doubt have been breaking the rules of the day anyway and will have to face the consequenses. A genuine accident on track will normally be declared a 50 50 by organisers anyway.

Obviously, the only track i know of where you DEFINATELY need to be road legal is the Ring.

Bottlethroddy has just answered everyones qeurys in one there! :thumb: well said mate

draper
21-06-06, 08:18 PM
well thats fine then bottlethroddy !!:thumb: might build a track car, get a towbar on 1 of my mates cars and have a party !! lol

althogh people who drive lambos are normally big girls anyway so you could just slap him

Stuart
21-06-06, 08:21 PM
dont forget to research towing laws if you/your mates passed their test after the 1st of jan 1997

draper
21-06-06, 08:28 PM
fookin hell, goverment dont like you having fun do they !! well my mates got his 7.5t license anyway so im pretty sure that covers you for towing a trailer, failing that my dads just bought a freelander and he has no life

Stuart
21-06-06, 08:42 PM
pre 1st jan 1997 you can tow upto hell of a lot.

but post that date you can only tow upto 750Kg providing the car can take it and also that the car and trailer dont weigh more than 1.5Tons.. unless you take another test (stealth tax again)

nathan.
21-06-06, 09:47 PM
If you took your test after 1997

You can tow more than 750kg with a car providing the weight combination of car and trailer dont exceed 3500kg, and that the trailer dosen't weigh more than kerb weight of the towing vehicle.

You can only tow 750kg if using a vehicle with a laden weight of 3500kg(van), equalling 4250kg.

Also a trailer weighing over 750kg has to be braked.

SRlew
21-06-06, 10:46 PM
right cheers for that bottlethroddy.
so has any one ever been turned away by a track with a car with no tax, mot and insurance?

this is a defanet possability now iv read all of this.

im still confused over the towing part so im going to have to read it again (3rd time lol)

cheers fellas, lew

The Simps
21-06-06, 11:50 PM
I've never been asked about tax and MOT when going to Doningtion which is probably half dozen times now.

Insurance is not compulsary either. I wouldn't bother on my nova as all the money is mainly in the engine which aren't covered under most policies. If I **** up the shell its a few hundred quid for a new one. Most policy excesses are ?500+.

It just so happens tho that my HIC policy on my nova covers me on trackdays too for the full value of the car.

Simps.

Lee
22-06-06, 11:30 AM
The towing law is an issue. I believe my total kerb weight including the trailer is 3200 kg, and the transit weighs 2000 of that lol.

Best thing to do is make sure the trailer is completely legal, and if your stopped, that you know what your weights are.

SRlew
22-06-06, 01:31 PM
ah right nice one. am going to look into doing this soon then i think.

cheers fellas! lew

craig green
22-06-06, 02:00 PM
good thread. v usefull replies.

Chris
23-06-06, 04:04 PM
Post 1997 license's are as followed.

You can drive upto 3500kg gross weight and tow a trailor up to 750kgs. If you have a trailor over 750kgs then it must be braked and not over 80% of the drawing vehicles weight and the train weight must now exceed 4250kgs.

Like Lee said a tranny with a nova on a trailor is ok but start using a car and it will be border line.

Chris

Stuart
23-06-06, 05:36 PM
doh.. lol

mind you most of the DVLA site is less than helpfull.. unless i was reading the welsh version lmao

Lee
24-06-06, 12:00 PM
The whole site IS welsh lol.

SuperNova!
24-06-06, 01:54 PM
Useful to me then!

General Baxter
24-06-06, 02:02 PM
i need the same info about mot/tax/insurance about the strip please

SRlew
24-06-06, 06:18 PM
yer thatd also be intresting to know abouth the strip.

Stuart
24-06-06, 06:59 PM
you need a driving license... thats it