PDA

View Full Version : Carb tuning - have i done it right?

novapearl
20-06-06, 10:32 AM
Basically i have a 1.3 nova fitted with the Pierburg twin choke carb.

Recently it has been running rough and 'kicking' on over run and at light throttle (eg all town driving). Last night it really annoyed me so when i got home, we had a little play. Took what appeared to be an air jet (?) out of the top of the carb and blew the crud out of the jet. That improved things a little. Then just tweaked the tick over up a touch to stop it dying when idling (screw on the back of the carb).

Finally played with the ignition timing - can't work out which way the distributor went but the idle has smoothed out, the 'kick' has gone and it accerates more smoothly.

What i want to know is:

Was this the right thing to do? and is there anything else that i can tweak?

Adam

Mike
20-06-06, 10:38 AM
set the tick over to about 1200rpm to improve accerleration from a stand still. ie: traffic lights. As in gain low down "pull" so to speak.

set it to about 1000rpm to gain a lot more midrange accerleration over standard!

dannyb
20-06-06, 04:57 PM
Is there a guide on how to set up a Pierburg carb correctly anywhere on here? I would like to learn how to do it properly as well! Cheers

Mike
20-06-06, 05:13 PM
not that i know to? Stuart may have a bit of info though as he's got loads of different guides.

I can get you an exploded technical diagram of a 2E3 as i used to sell loads via eBay. There same carb thats used on a Polo GT

dannyb
20-06-06, 05:35 PM
I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to carbs, I'd need to be told where to look (with pics), how much to do things to it and what to look and listen for. I tinkered with the carb on my Volvo when I was 19 and it ran like a sack!

Adam
20-06-06, 05:37 PM
Take it to a garage with a exhaust gas anaylser, and they will set it up right so it passes MOT emissions and runs well.

Just doing it without a anaylser wont give a perfect result.

dannyb
20-06-06, 05:44 PM
Nice one, thank you for the info Long live the Nova!