PDA

View Full Version : Hello, im new, sort of........

matt1chelski
18-06-06, 04:35 PM
Just thought i would say a quick Hi, im matt, 17 and am on the look out for my first car (nova belive it or not!). Had a bit of a "thing" for novas for a long time, talked my dad into get one when i was 14, a 1.4L, first car i drove, and loved it. While having that i spend a fair bit of time browsing this forum, but haven been back since the nova went 2 years ago. So, now im starting to drive properly, im looking about for a car. One thing i have noticed, its becoming harder and harder to find a decent nova that hasnt had some **** boddging it, or one thats more rust that car, so i got my work cut otu. :thumb:

Any tips on what to watch out for, post away
matt :thumb:

Stanley
18-06-06, 04:50 PM
welcome

watch out for hideous fiberglass in general lol

depends what your gonna be using the car for really

track days, town driving, a/b road blasts?

doherty
18-06-06, 04:53 PM
alrite lad welcome again lol

as fr lookin at novas try an give everywere a look or poke

dont be scared to get dirty..feel the rear archs for rust or weld..

peel back the carpet at the drivers side an look around the code for welding they also tear around that area if the rear seats have been used alot

boot floor,sills,battery box,front chassis legs,front panel(upper an lower),behind the headlights,

hope that gives you a bit of help but like i said try an look at as much as you can...if you can get a ramp to look underneth...dont hesitate* in doin it

matt1chelski
18-06-06, 04:57 PM
So give evrywhere a good look and poke then. Its my first car so will be used for 99.9% of my free time, from A+B road blasts, camping, and going to school and back. Am planning to get a std one, i pefer to make my car my own from a blank canvass sort of thing.

cheers
mat

Jack
18-06-06, 08:13 PM
Rear chassis legs, around the suspension, and any bodywork rust (the latter which leaves a hole) will be an MOT fail so worth looking for. Also have a good nose in the battery tray as they tend to collect water in there and rot out.

Where abouts are you from? I'm sure any local members may be willing to go with you when you view some.

Mike.
18-06-06, 08:19 PM
with the nova i just bought i basically ripped it apart on cleethorpes sea front lol, the bloke who was selling it was wondering what i was doing, but you have to do it, you have to make sure your not buying a rot box.

muzzy
18-06-06, 08:32 PM
check the sills, especially if it has skirts on it as they hide rust, arches, chassis, basically anything made of metal will probably rust on a nova so check everything and dont be scared to, its your money your spending the seller should be more than happy to let you look around the car if they are being honest about its condition.
good luck!!