PDA

View Full Version : big block conversion

Tazzy
18-06-06, 02:19 AM
as most of you know, or can see in the cars for sale bit, my project sr is for sale, as well as my bros 2.0 astra gte, but still in a mixed mind whether i want to drop in a 1.6 on twin webers!

anyway, my bro had the idea of dropping in the 2.0 8v lump, yes, you all know whats coming...

would it be wort hit, value for money wise?

what work would i have to do on the engine bay?

will the engine mounts line up?

what driveshafts to use?

what about fueling and loom?

etc, could anyone guide me through a step by step guide through doing a big block conversion? from changing it from a 1.4 small block carbd to a 2.0 big block mpi

cheerz

Lockie
18-06-06, 07:22 AM
Hi there i have a step by step guide in a word document i downloaded from topbuzz.net it's not bad but it will give you an idea!!

pesronally i think you would be better fitting a valver(20xe) as they go like stink but don't get me wrong if you want to fit 8v lump i'm sure that would be better over the standard 1.4 anyday!!

send me your e-mail address and i'll send it to you!!

Adam
18-06-06, 12:08 PM
You would need injection tank, MPI pump.
22spline gte shafts with mk2 1.6 cav inner cv's, and nova outer cv's.
You would need a mount kit same as the XE.
You would also need to weld the engine bay seams.
Then you would need to do the wiring, running wires for the fuel pump etc as your carb nova wont have them in atm.

The 2L 8v is a good engine, especially the 130bhp one, reliable, cheaper to fix(than a XE) and most people give them away free as no one wants them, which is a bonus for someone that does want one.

Lockie
18-06-06, 03:08 PM
Long Live The Nova
"The 2L 8v is a good engine, especially the 130bhp one, reliable, cheaper to fix(than a XE) and most people give them away free as no one wants them, which is a bonus for someone that does want one."

Fair Point fella!!