PDA

View Full Version : gsi servo fitting

doug_sri
17-06-06, 03:58 PM
Just bought a gsi brake servo from someone on here for my sr, is this a fairly easy thing to fit or is there any problems which other folk have come accross. I can do most things when it comes to mechanics and have a haynes manual but im offshore till tuesday so cant have a look

SRlew
17-06-06, 06:45 PM
yer iv got one to go on aswell mate, it looks easy, all you need to do is take your dash shelf out to gain access to about 3 bolts then in the bay it should just pull off.

BUT i had trouble undoing the brake lines from it, so im now armed with a blowtourch and some mole grips.

Ste L
18-06-06, 06:25 PM
dont need to change the master cylinder, can keep the one you got, and just swap servo's

so no need to take brake lines off

SRlew
18-06-06, 07:35 PM
ah how you go about that then, as i think i tried doing that but somthing was stopping it i think.

andybishop
18-06-06, 09:22 PM
You just need to undo the 2 nuts that hold the master cylinder to Servo and pull it out. Then undo the 4 nuts hold the servo to the mounting bracket and the take the pin out behind the dash

craig green
19-06-06, 02:51 PM
You just need to undo the 2 nuts that hold the master cylinder to Servo and pull it out. Then undo the 4 nuts hold the servo to the mounting bracket and the take the pin out behind the dash

Refitting is the reversal of removal.
If you are using the GSi master cylinder, you will need to remove the brake lines from the old mc & obviously refill & bleed when reconnected.

CG

Ste L
19-06-06, 03:11 PM
all master cylinders are the same, no point changing them ;) unless yours is ****ed

Adam
19-06-06, 03:26 PM
And if you try and change it no doubt the brake pipe connections will be rusty as f**k and round off. Lol

doug_sri
19-06-06, 03:57 PM
And if you try and change it no doubt the brake pipe connections will be rusty as f**k and round off. Lol

I will just be using the original master cylinder, sounds easy enough.

Cheers

SRlew
19-06-06, 06:30 PM

yer like mine lol

was bout to ask actually if there the same, i'll be doing that when i swap the engine then.

Stuart
19-06-06, 06:39 PM
so yoru doing a servo swap to gain what exactly ;) ....

SRlew
19-06-06, 06:49 PM
im swapping mine cause its nearly got a hole in. and its bigger so you dont have to press as hard or somthing, mine was a freebie, even better

Adam
19-06-06, 06:55 PM
Bigger servo just makes it easier press the pedal.

doug_sri
20-06-06, 12:11 AM
the pedal is very spongy just now so thought this might help improve it. Running 16v front set up with standard rear and braided hoses all round. Also bled it all and changed the fluid so not much else I can change but the pedal feels crap just now

SRlew
20-06-06, 10:35 AM
yes doug iv got 16v front brakes, and mine feels sh*te! theres loads of pedal travel before they evn start working.

Ste L
20-06-06, 11:14 AM
my 16v brake fine on the small servo :s

Stuart
20-06-06, 11:32 AM
adjust the linkage to make sure your actually pressing the servo/Ms when you touch the pedal, but dont bind your brakes ;)

Snowface
20-06-06, 12:11 PM
i think my servo is knackerd too.
CAr was sat for 3/4 months and the brake pedal was a bit weird to start off with when i first drove it.

Also the brakes stick a bit like they are applying themselves automatically.

Just been to scrappy and changed the no return valve that sits inline with the vacuum hose and started engine and brakes bound themselves on 80%.

Took new hose/return valve off and it made a Pshh noise as air rushed into the vacuum unit. I'm guessing i need new vacuum unit? Or what is this adjustable linkage you talk of Stu?

Stuart
20-06-06, 01:01 PM
just behind the brake pedal there is a threaded rod with a 19mm nut on it, slackedn that off and rotate the rod till you get the desired brake response, then nip the nut up

Ste L
20-06-06, 01:30 PM
might give that a try on mine too lol

another job for the weekend

SRlew
20-06-06, 01:33 PM
ahh, i got told to just do the nut up,

but im off out there now to do what you said stu! :thumb:

Mike
20-06-06, 02:31 PM
just behind the brake pedal there is a threaded rod with a 19mm nut on it, slackedn that off and rotate the rod till you get the desired brake response, then nip the nut up

indeed another job for the weekend, along with fitting my new steering rack and adjusting handbrake! Thank you for that info stu'y! :thumb:

Adam
20-06-06, 03:42 PM
Ive had no problems with a 1.2i servo and 16v brakes. Pedal is solid with same amount of travel as 1.2i brakes.

doug_sri
20-06-06, 06:07 PM
will try both things, having a bigger servo cant be a bad thing anyway

Timmy
21-06-06, 05:40 PM
if you have a lot of travel on your breake try cheack your drums to make sure there ajusted as well i had the same problem with imne and doing that fixed it and my hand brake

Snowface
07-07-06, 03:32 PM
changed to a GTE servo now and brakes work really well and you can almost apply them with your little finger!

But when you put them on it sounds like air is escaping from somwhere like a wooosh noise. Wether that will go away after a bit of use?