PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet release lever / cable

R1CH
15-06-06, 04:06 PM
Due to my cage i've had to remove my bonnet release lever ... i got a lever from a Honda / Rover which mounts to the floor just in front of the drivers seat, it also has a lever for the petrol cap which i was going to use to open the boot lid, problem is i can't get the bonnet release to work !! i'm using a length of bike brake cable which fits ok and the cable runs free thru it but due to the length of the cable the lever just seems to take all the 'spring' out of the cable even tho its tight to start with !!
Thinking i might just have to resort back to the standard cable and just have the lever sitting loose on the shelf under the dash.
Anyone any ideas ?

Cheers, Rich

Mike
15-06-06, 04:23 PM
use the original handle + cable, just mount it to your cage. If you going rallying though (as i take it youve got a full cage) you may aswell remove the entire bonnet locking mechanisn and use bonnet pins instead!

R1CH
15-06-06, 04:31 PM
Nah ain't rallying, just a road car (cage looks cool !) yeah it is probly gonna be easier just to use the satndard cable and just mount it some where else.

Cheers, Rich

Mike
15-06-06, 04:34 PM
:thumb: you got it!

craig green
15-06-06, 04:39 PM
Fit an inline adjuster (from bike shop) to help pre tension the cable beyond what you are able to by hand.

the reason its happening is because the Honda lever dosent move as much cable per tug as the Vaux one. So in theory the Honda one will always be pants.

Nothing new there then!

Welsh Dan
15-06-06, 04:41 PM
Give the release mechanism and the bolt on the bonnet a coat of wd40 just incase it makes enough difference. :)

dan23
15-06-06, 10:06 PM
use a lentgh of motor bike clutch cable as it has adjusters on both ends

R1CH
15-06-06, 11:11 PM
Already fitted an inline adjuster (i work in a bike shop !) has had plenty of of WD40 / GT85, but still no joy, would work better with bike 'gear' cable but already spent too much trying to get thge bike 'brake' cable to work !!
The Honda lever pulls enough cable (about 30mm) but still doesn't seem to work, i'd say i'll just use a std lever & cable & just have the lever lying on the dash shelf !

Cheers

dan23
15-06-06, 11:42 PM
i dont know what its called but the Aa use something to fix broken cluch cables it has a grub screw an clamps to the too take up the slack a think this would work .