PDA

View Full Version : Engine Conv

eddiecorke2
14-06-06, 08:51 AM
Can any1 giv me a roungh estimate of what it would cost me to get my 1.2 engine out and put a 1.4, or 1.6 in?
Just interested because i want something faster but dont realy want to get rid of the shell! (its mint).
Was thinkin of selling but nova's are worth nothing these days.
Need to know how much it would cost me to get everything done, ie breakes & anything els that would need changing.
Thanks guys

Mike
14-06-06, 09:22 AM
Would depend on several factors, such as A)what engine going in, wether its carb or injection b)price of engine etc and c) who's doing it? if your doing it then labour cost's will be kept to a minimum!

If its an injection engine (SRi or GSi) you'll need the loom tank etc but if its a carbed engine iirc you can use your original loom

Adam
14-06-06, 01:09 PM
Entirely depends whos doing it, and what parts you need.

Garage would probably charge a few hundred.

But if you had a mate or someone that could do it, a few beers? Lol

The Simps
14-06-06, 01:33 PM
Brakes I would advise getting the 2 part 256mm ATE calipers off 16v motors. Often for sale on here and other forums for about ?50. Great upgrade! Noticeable difference under braking and alot easier to maintain as the use a carrier not pins which have a tendancy to seize.

As far as the engine swap goes the engine shouldn't cost much at all - over ?200 and you're paying too much, easily!

As said, depending on whether you go for injection or not will mean getting a few extras.

Is your car a carb at the moment?

Why not get a GTE/GSi 1.6 lump but run it on twin 40 carbs? There great fun and sound awesome! You then won't need to change any wiring or tank and fuel lines.

Simps.
;)

SRlew
14-06-06, 10:52 PM
id do it yourself mate. im swaping mine maybe next week. never done it before so its going to be a lesson for me.

The Simps
15-06-06, 12:09 AM
Straight engine swap isn't too bad a job, especially small block.

Simps.

SRlew
15-06-06, 10:06 AM
i dont think id bother going from carb to injection mate, alot more work, as simps said mate, chuck some carbs on. iv never heard them but people always say they sound good.

Mike
15-06-06, 10:27 AM
yeah T40's or 45's always sound the best! Esp with a decent exhaust they pop and bang! lol

SRlew
15-06-06, 10:37 AM
oo im getting excited now, pick up the new engine next week, its got 40's :D

Mike
15-06-06, 11:08 AM
oo im getting excited now, pick up the new engine next week, its got 40's :D

:thumb: possibly the best sound a nova makes bar a dump valve! lol