PDA

View Full Version : Boot Smoothing

Jim Mcrae
13-06-06, 02:06 PM
Wats is the easiest DIY way of going about smoothing your tailgate??
And will an aftermarket GTE backbox fit my 1.2 mk1??
Thanks

SRlew
13-06-06, 02:10 PM
id say the easiest way is just to get one of those smooth panels from somwhere. think supernovas do them.

as you'v said after market id presume its got a 2" bore, have you got a standard system?

Ste L
13-06-06, 02:28 PM
noooooooooo, the smooth boot panels are ****e.. i've used one..

just get body shop or someone that can weld to just weld it up with a sheet of metal, then grind down welds and skim it your self..

if the back box off a full system or ment for the standard gte system..
if its the latter it will fit, but if its for a full system, the bore will be too big for your standard system-

Jim Mcrae
13-06-06, 03:45 PM
Cheers for the help the old man can weld so ill will see what he says.:thumb:

SRlew
13-06-06, 05:32 PM
ah well, yer would be better to have it welded though.

tappingt
13-06-06, 05:41 PM
just delock the boot, looks alot better and v.simple.

Mike.
13-06-06, 07:24 PM
never ever touch those finre glass tailgate panels there crap, alot more work needed then you think

ad4m
14-06-06, 08:34 PM
ye ive just finished doing my boot i used a sheet of steel weld it all the way around grind them down and skim with filler if u can make the middle stick out abit bcoz the middle takes alot of filler and if u can get a metre ruler get one bcoz then u can see if it is level all the way down thats wat i did and turned out really good and it dont take that long to do took me about 1 week GET A ELECTRIC SANDER THO saves alot of hard work hehe kk m8 good luck if u get stuck give me a shout adamingleson2@hotmail.com kk m8

TommySR
14-06-06, 10:16 PM
yeah smooth boot panels are pain to fit and i had one that cracked and then sank lol, a right mess!

dannyb
14-06-06, 11:24 PM
Buy one thats already done and save some time and money, they always come up for sale here! A friend has a F****a van with a smoothed tailgate made of filler and it seems to weigh loads. So beware if you buy secondhand that its welded plate and not just inch thick filler and fibreglass!!.

draper
22-06-06, 09:22 AM
mines got a plate welded over, perfect job and i dont reckon it weighs much more than a standard boot !