PDA

View Full Version : Wat causes low oil preasure ???

acnova
13-06-06, 10:33 AM
My oil light is flickern on at about 1000 rpm checked the oil level and its fine so it must be low oil presure. What causes this ?

Mike
13-06-06, 10:38 AM
Leaky head gasket or possbile loss of compression. Sump gasket possibly?

acnova
13-06-06, 10:43 AM
I just had the head done but had new pystons fitted and thats wen it started so i think it could be the sump gasket like you said. Nothing too serious though "I HOPE"

Iain
13-06-06, 10:48 AM
I suffer from this too. When the engine/oil has warmed up (50+mph drive for a bit...) the oil light will flicker on when idling.

acnova
13-06-06, 10:57 AM
I suffer from this too. When the engine/oil has warmed up (50+mph drive for a bit...) the oil light will flicker on when idling.

Yeah thats excatly it, wat can ya do about it or is it safe enough to drive without damagen anything ?

Iain
13-06-06, 11:05 AM
Well I first thought it was because it was idling low but it still does it after I raised the idle. I wish I knew what caused it mate, sorry. lol

acnova
13-06-06, 11:12 AM
How long have you been driven it like this and wat engine do you have ?

Stuart
13-06-06, 11:34 AM
shagged oil pump/blocked oil pickup.
a sumpgasket WILL NOT cause low oil pressure.... geeeze

acnova
13-06-06, 11:40 AM
shagged oil pump/blocked oil pickup.
a sumpgasket WILL NOT cause low oil pressure.... geeeze

Is it ok to drive like this ?

Welsh Dan
13-06-06, 12:04 PM
Not for long.

Adam
13-06-06, 04:11 PM
If it ever stays on when driving and not idling, your in trouble.

Geth
13-06-06, 05:39 PM
I had this problem a few weeks back. My warning light is shagged but the pressure guage was very low. I had to change the the sump and oil pump gaskets due to an oil leak dripping directly on to my exhaust manifold (There was quite lot of smoke coming out of the engine bay believe it or not lol ). When I got the sump off and removed the pick up pipe there was a huge chunk of metal jammed in between the matal gauze and the bell on the end of the pipe. Turned out it was part of the No.1 piston that surrounds the gudgeon (sp) pin.

Turns out the piston was faulty and AE supplied me with a brand new one free of charge. I should have asked for compensation but didn't think of it at the time.

Acnova, IIRC you had a split piston a few weeks back so it might be worth checking for debris that could be blocking your oil system.

Iain
13-06-06, 06:32 PM
How long have you been driven it like this and wat engine do you have ?

1.2 carb. Driven it like that for months now, lol I might check the previously mentioned causes if I get bored. :)

acnova
13-06-06, 08:25 PM
I had this problem a few weeks back. My warning light is shagged but the pressure guage was very low. I had to change the the sump and oil pump gaskets due to an oil leak dripping directly on to my exhaust manifold (There was quite lot of smoke coming out of the engine bay believe it or not lol ). When I got the sump off and removed the pick up pipe there was a huge chunk of metal jammed in between the matal gauze and the bell on the end of the pipe. Turned out it was part of the No.1 piston that surrounds the gudgeon (sp) pin.

Turns out the piston was faulty and AE supplied me with a brand new one free of charge. I should have asked for compensation but didn't think of it at the time.

Acnova, IIRC you had a split piston a few weeks back so it might be worth checking for debris that could be blocking your oil system.

My mechanic is goin to check it out for me 2moro but ill mention to him wat could have happened. Thanks for all the help:thumb:

Novasport
13-06-06, 10:10 PM
If it ever stays on when driving and not idling, your in trouble.

We've just had a new Mini recovered into work with engine failure, they had gone 16,000 miles overdue the first service and ran the thing dry of oil!!!
They must have been driving round with the oil light on, came in with 1/2 a litre of oil in it!!! Lease company have made them buy the car of them as it needs a new enginelol