PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Dump Valve? Can It Be Done?

MrSilicone
13-06-06, 10:03 AM
hi all,
wondering if you could settle a little disagreement me and mate have, he's just brought an mk3 astra 1.7 turbo diesel, and he reckon's that you can fit a dump valve as its turbo'd is this true?

Jack
13-06-06, 10:46 AM
Most likely yes, unfortunately lol

Mike
13-06-06, 11:07 AM
yeah you can. my mate did it to his 306 DTi, and it blew the turbo unit after 12months! personally i wouldnt even bother, get a proper turbo motor and then do it! lol

Welsh Dan
13-06-06, 11:28 AM
Dump valve on a diesel would be ghey, see if you can manage anti-lag* :p

*yes I know because of how a diesel engine operates it wont work.

Alex.
13-06-06, 12:51 PM
^ install some petrol injectors and a small petrol fuel tank to get the anti lag working lol

yeah you can. my mate did it to his 306 DTi, and it blew the turbo unit after 12months! personally i wouldnt even bother, get a proper turbo motor and then do it! lol
Probably more to do with it being French :D

Mike
13-06-06, 12:55 PM
Probably more to do with it being French :D

you guessed it :thumb: lol

CorsaCruiser
13-06-06, 01:26 PM
Can be done but it'll slow the car down !

Dumpvalve works with a vacuum connection connected after the throttlebody (of a petrol engine),
so when the tb is closed, the vacuum in the inlet pulls the dumpvalve open and air is released.

Diesels don't have tb's or vacuum in the inletmanifold so u can't put a dumpvalve on as easy as on petrol cars.

There are special electric dumpvalves (with a switch connected to the gaspedal) see http://www.dieseldumpvalve.nl/

Another way of doing it is with an electric(air)relayvalve between the vacuum pipe (to brake servo) and a petrol car dumpvalve.
(should only be done if you know what you're doing and should be disconnected/unable to function when you brake (off course))

If it's the isuzu engine in the astra, just turn up the boost & fuelling and it'll TISSSSSHHHHHHH like it should (mine does @ 1.4Bar) :thumb:
How to tune the isuzu. (http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/vauxhall/mechanical-electrical/251241-isuzu-engine-astra-mk3.html)

johnny27
13-06-06, 03:53 PM
really would'nt fancy fitting a dump valve to my brake servo vacum, sounds dangerous. Anyhow, between the manifold and servo line there would'nt be enough pressure/vacum to hear any air discharge. Why are ppl obcessed by chav dump valves?

db_1.2
13-06-06, 05:08 PM

Yeh someone done that to a diesal 306 on my estate, hes had 2 engines since then, now hes learnt his lesson!

General Baxter
13-06-06, 05:13 PM
if you fit a dump valve to a izuzi TD engine, all it will do is blow all that boost out, and you will have to spool it up all over again, lowering your speed

just take all the air box crap off and fit a universal air filter stright to the turbo and fit a nice big intercooler :)

Jack
13-06-06, 10:23 PM
Why are ppl obcessed by chav dump valves?
They have their advantages. My std DV went tits up a little while back and a Forge item came up cheap so I got it.

draper
13-06-06, 10:26 PM
i also know someone who had 1 on a 306 turboD, he had nothing but problems, they got that bad he endded up putting a GTi6 lump in with a 6spd box, now he drives a saxo ?? :wtf:

General Baxter
13-06-06, 10:32 PM
Why are ppl obcessed by chav dump valves?

becasue they dont know how to get chatter lol