PDA

View Full Version : c20let in a nova

kevo16v
11-06-06, 12:22 PM
Can anyone help me, what modifications need to be made to the chassis/engine bay for the let conversion. The nova had a 2l 16v in it before so all mods for that have alrady been carried out. A guide would be helpful as im attempting it myself. Thanks in advance Kev

rsintheplace
11-06-06, 06:15 PM
if its had a 2ltr 16v in the bay before it shud be already prepd for the turbo lump ( seam welded engine bay etc). all you need to do is move the rad forward a little bit for the turbo, and depending on what gearbox your using F20 or F28 you'l need a modified bracket (gearbox side).

draper
11-06-06, 06:19 PM
is that why all the cutting and re-welding of the crossmember is needed ??

rsintheplace
11-06-06, 10:07 PM
quite possibly yea lol, sorry should of explained in abit more detail

Welsh Dan
11-06-06, 11:41 PM
A few people make the valance/slam panel removeable too to make access to the turbo easier just incase.

kevo16v
12-06-06, 12:24 AM
Cheers for the help boys! Its all looking promising now, just arranged to pick up the let later in the week. Will more than likely be flooding you all with more questions over then next month!

Which leads me on to my next question .........
Ive already got a F20 gearbox from my xe lump & the 6 speed box isn't include with the let im getting. Is it worth getting an F28 box or will the F20 box be just as good?

The Simps
12-06-06, 05:22 PM
Its a straight swap from XE to LET (use same mounts etc).

As mentioned you may need to alter the mounting point of your radiator a little to allow turbo clearnance and also so you can tun your intercooler pipes. I'd also advise getting some front mounted fans for the rad too and bin the standard one.

Some people have cut the lower crossmember back (currently pointed) so its flush and you can better fit an intercooler behind the bumper. This is probably the trickiest job tbh - intercooler fitment.

In reference to the f20 box yes you can use it. You need to use the LET flywheel and pressure plate but your f20/XE clutch as the splines are different to a normal LET clutch. Some people have run F20s for years with no problems. Some people kill boxes on a regular basis. Depends how you drive it I suppose. The F28 is a better box but a bit more work to fit. You will need the box converted to 2wd, fit a speedo ring off the f20 modify the gearlinkage and weld in a new bracket. If you do go for an F28 get a mechanical speedo driven one not an electrical one as its costly to convert.

Also, most LET's have power steering and air con pumps attached. Ditch all that and run your XE bottom pulling and alternator and bracket. Its v-pulley then and slightly more slimline!

Hope this helps, currently prepping my car at the mo and ready to fit in engine at any moment!

Simps.
:)

draper
12-06-06, 06:09 PM
at the risk of sounding dumb, whats the difference between an intercooler and a radiator ??

The Simps
12-06-06, 06:17 PM
Radiator uses air to cooler the water that flows through it. That water is then used to cool the engine.

An intercooler uses air to cool the air that passes through it which comes from the turbo.

The air comes in the filter and then to the the turbo. The turbo then heats the air as it pushes it so the intercooler helps to bring the temp down again as cooler air is better.

Simps.

kevo16v
13-06-06, 11:34 AM
Cheers boys you've be a massive help!! I'll be sure to be back with more question and most probably problems! thanks once angain

draper
13-06-06, 11:45 AM
eh?? so an intercooler is a rad but with air in, feeding cool air to the turbo ? or have i got that round my neck ?

Welsh Dan
13-06-06, 11:49 AM
Not quite. It is a kind of radiator, air goes from the turbo and is compressed so heats up, plus any heat that bleeds through from the exhaust side oof the turbo, the intercooler cools the air after the turbo before it goes into the engine. I found reading this (http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/Introduction.htm) helped my understanding.

shady_brady
13-06-06, 11:10 PM
With the use of an intercooler or charge air cooler we can further increase the power of the engine by cooling the pressurized air this results in denser air which contains more air molecules than warm air being fed into the engine. Also try www.howstuffworks.com (http://www.howstuffworks.com/) topsite for information on engines, turbos and what not.