PDA

View Full Version : Dash Help !!

BigStan
10-06-06, 08:46 PM
Today i tried the horrendous task of fitting my GTE 8v digi dash into my mk 1, what a bloody s**t fight for a start !!! :mad:
All that cutting of the dash was making me upset, but anyway, my speedo doesnt work and some of the lights are going funny.
But first thing, i want my speedo to work, any ideas ?
I used the diagram from here to wire it up, and i did have to buy some more wire to connect the transducer to the loom ?
Could i have maybe wired the positive and negative the wrong way ?

All help welcome please !! Cheers :thumb:

Adam
11-06-06, 12:15 AM
If you've wired the positive and negative to the transducer wrong, then you will have blown the transducer.
Black is Ign 12v, brown is earth, blue/red is the speed signal.
If the speedo isn't working then the wiring is wrong, or the transducer is knackered.

draper
11-06-06, 06:22 PM
what do you mean by lights going funny ? do they light up sometimes and not others ? probably a bad earth connection

Ash
11-06-06, 07:21 PM
mine didnt work for a while, then one day i had a look and reliesed id sent two 12v's to the transducer - opps. it was fine tho when i swapped it back. is it the right transducer for the dash? theres an early and late (or 8v and 16v)

A

Adam
11-06-06, 07:28 PM
Even if it was the wrong transducer type, it would still register speed, it would just be showing half the actual speed, or double.

SRlew
11-06-06, 09:07 PM
lol i was waiting for someone else to try and fit a digi to there mk1.

yer what do you mean by your lights going funny?

i felt well bad cutting up my mk1 dash, was gutted for bout a week!

Riggy
11-06-06, 09:32 PM
lol i was waiting for someone else to try and fit a digi to there mk1.

yer what do you mean by your lights going funny?

i felt well bad cutting up my mk1 dash, was gutted for bout a week!

lol why thats the best thing that you can do to the horrid mk1 dash lol

Adam
12-06-06, 12:19 AM
lol why thats the best thing that you can do to the horrid mk1 dash lol
Spot on :thumb: lol

bigbened
12-06-06, 08:02 AM
mk1 dashes rule i love em OLD SKOOL!!!!!!!!

BigStan
12-06-06, 10:09 AM
Ive sorted the speedo problem out, something so silly i dont even want to mention it really ! :roll:

As for the lights going funny, yes i think i mwy have a bad earth so will have to sort that out soon !

Its still not finished still got some tweeking to do to make it sit right and look good, i got to cover all of the bts where i cut it up !

However i now need a lens for it as when i was tryin to get it in i cracked it :eek:, so anyone who has one could you please let me know !

Also would it matter if i had a different transducer on the end as i have two different ones !

Cheers

draper
12-06-06, 11:02 AM
c'mon tell us how you ****ed up !!

Adam
12-06-06, 11:41 AM
Ive sorted the speedo problem out, something so silly i dont even want to mention it really ! :roll:

Wha, forgotten to fit/wire the transducer? lol

BigStan
13-06-06, 10:08 AM
Promise you wont laugh ?

What happened was, i just wired up the dash turned it on and it worked fine.

So i started tidying up when i found that i hadnt wired the transducer to the loom and onto the gearbox, so i started doing it, slipped the heat shrink down the wire and soldered it.

Of course when i soldered it the heat travelled down the wire and shrunk the heat shrink a little so i couldnt get it over the connection.

So because i was so excited with my new dash i completely forgot to cover the connection and taped them all up together, so they was all touching ! :eek:

Unfortunately i still didnt realise what i had done even when i turned the car on again and i blew the instrument pack fuse !

And so i figured it out the next day after driving around with no speed just revs !

A lesson to all of you kids ! lol

draper
13-06-06, 10:29 AM
happens to the best of us, think i did once......when i was 15 lol

least its sorted and working now mate :thumb:

BigStan
13-06-06, 10:31 AM
Yeah i suppose i could look at it like that ! lol

BigStan
13-06-06, 10:33 AM
Also would it matter if i had a different transducer on the end as i have two different ones !

Cheers

?