PDA

View Full Version : road tax

shanerandrews
10-06-06, 07:44 PM
i have been involved in a road traffic accident, my car is probably a write off, the other driver has admitted liability, but unfortunately i had no road tax, i have insurance and mot, will i still get paid out from the other drivers insurance, my tax ran out at the end of may. thanks for any advice you can give me

cheers boys

Adam
10-06-06, 07:54 PM
Id doubt your insurance will pay out, they would give you a hard time to fight for a payout if you were completely legal.
No tax means you shouldn't have been on the road.

shanerandrews
10-06-06, 07:59 PM
yes but i was waiting for my nanas disabled tax the form got sent on the 28 of last month and the police said i had 14 days to get it taxed from when it ran out and plus i back payed it so i was covered at the time and i think all they can do me for is not displaying tax not sure tho

Adam
10-06-06, 08:11 PM
If you had payed for the tax etc then you might just be done for not displaying a tax disc yeah.

Personally tho, i wouldn't leave my drive if i had no tax disc on.

The insurance company may just say tho your car was not road legal, so they refuse to pay out, they will do anything to avoid paying out.

Stuart
11-06-06, 10:56 AM
it all depends what info was taken at the time of the accident and what the other ins company want to know.... eg its totally upto the other persons insurance

valvercorsa
11-06-06, 11:19 AM
u will strugle to get ur monies mate i would think unless u used the disability tax before and it was just been renew'd. but if it was been used on someone elses car before then u will have a hard battle.

Stuart
11-06-06, 12:06 PM
less of the text typing ;)

Will
14-06-06, 11:45 AM
whats tax?

b4 they introduced the bar code tax disks the old skipping a month was a legendary tactic b4 things were computerised

oh the days

lmfao

Mike
14-06-06, 11:47 AM
whats tax?b4 they introduced the bar code tax disks

if only it was still that simple eh!

As my car is still registered as a stolen recovery though and not been VIC checked, the dvla think its been scrapped, hence no tax reminder resulting in no fine when/if my car is un-taxed! ;)

Although now its sorned for a rebuild as i didnt want to run the risk! :D lol

-tucny-
14-06-06, 12:44 PM
drinving without a tax disc, although it is an offence, its not one that the police will pursue. the offence was comitted against the tax man so all the police would do is report you to them. and if you have back dated the tax then the worst that can happen is possibly a fine for not displaying it. as long as the vehicles insured and has an mot then i wouldnt think the insurance company could get away without a payout. its like your home insurance not maying up for your tv after a break in and them saying you didnt have a tv license.

Adam
14-06-06, 01:11 PM
Just been reading some of the terms/conditions of my insurance policy

-Vehicle must display a valid tax disc and hold a valid MOT, failure to have either could result in the policy being invalid.

-tucny-
14-06-06, 01:59 PM
'could' so theres always a chance! plus its the other partys insurance hes claiming from too. if anything gets said, fight it all the way!

Adam
14-06-06, 02:06 PM
If the insurance has a way out of not paying, they will use it ;)

-tucny-
14-06-06, 02:30 PM
then hit them with a big stick!:D