PDA

View Full Version : taking a leak

richi
10-06-06, 05:27 PM
:cry: i have just found lots of water leaking from my nova. It is coming from what i think is the sump?!? but im prob wrong,(its at the very bottom of the engine, if you look under the front of the car its the first thing you see, has bolts looks kinda like a tank, has the exhaust going over it.) sorry about the poor descripion, do you no why its coming out of here and what i need to do to stop it.
cheers ppl

sure it is water but i could b wrong

tom_beverley
10-06-06, 05:46 PM
If its from the sump then it shouldn't be water! :eek:

Try and trace any damp patches from further up the engine, if its water then its a split or loose water hose. Feel around and you should come across it.

If its oil from the sump then it could be that it has a hole due to rust (you can get a new one from motorfactors, think about ?30) or even the sump bolt could do with a tighten.

treeted
10-06-06, 07:17 PM
is the water tank emptying? if the o ring has gone on the water pump that tends to run down the side of the block and onto the exhaust.

theshandydrinker
10-06-06, 07:39 PM
check the simple things 1st, is a pipe broken from the windscreen washer tank? is it losing water from the header tank? check your hoses, look for white marks by the hose connections tell tale leak sign. then take cambelt covers off and see if its coming from the water pump, theres a rubber o ring inside and thats prone to going especially if you have just had a cambelt? make sure its water and not oil which could be coming from the sump/sump gasket, or gear oil which and could be coming from the shaft seals and brake fluid is a posibility from the master cylinder. check all levels!!. worse case scenario head gasket. good luck

richi
10-06-06, 07:57 PM
its stopped leaking now and the water tank(where the water for the radiator is) is still full, just cant find where it is coming from checked all the hoses and there full of dust so aint from them gona have to keep looking around

richi
10-06-06, 08:05 PM
it is water as well where is the water pump????