PDA

View Full Version : Help with cam fitting and valve clearence

johnny27
09-06-06, 11:23 AM
Would really appericate it if anyone could help me pls, as i'm in the middle of doing this job.
I'm fitting an Ast2 to my sr. Have slipped in the new cam and am placing the rockers in place, using a rocker remover. Prob is, that i've got four of the rockers in place, with alot to do, now as you know you have to turn the camshaft around alot to get space to get rockers in and compress the valves and so on.
Now one or more valves is hitting the a piston, as it will not turn by hand with the spanner on the cam pulley, so i can't move the cam to line it back up to the tdc marking,

is there anything i can do to line it up without taking the rockers off again?

And also should the new cam when placed in have been set to where the mark is before starting to place the rockers on, although i think it would'nt matter as the cam has to be twisted around anyhow?

BTW the pulleys where set to tdc before stripping, its really annoying as it ackward and slow using the rocker remover properly
Thanks

johnny27
09-06-06, 11:41 AM
Should i place the cam belt back on at this stage after lining up the pulleys again? So the crank is moving along with the valves to provide clearence
Although i done a c12nz with no need to put the cam belt back on till finsihed.

Also the prob may be, which side of the engine do i start at when placing the rockers back, left or right?
I have removed one of the rockers and the engine now turns, but when is placed back on, the engine comes up against a valve again? whats wrong?

Stuart
09-06-06, 12:25 PM
back the engine off by 90degrees, no cam belt. get the rockers in place and then time it all up.

johnny27
09-06-06, 12:39 PM
do you mean to back the crankshaft pulley 90 deg? thanks mate

johnny27
09-06-06, 02:06 PM
spot on stuart, worked a treat your a real star, cheers

Adam
09-06-06, 03:14 PM
Im too late,Lol.
Ye, back the crank off so all pistons are about level, then you can turn the cam.

Glad to hear its sorted.