PDA

View Full Version : A supercharged nova????

leebo
09-06-06, 01:20 AM
Hey, was readin about a supercharged vectra the day and i was wonderin has it been done to a nova? i know someone was chattin about doin one before but heard no more about it. if it has been done before, what was the problems faced and the gains provided compaired to a turbo?

cheers lee (hope all that made sence)

Stuart
09-06-06, 07:57 AM
the basic characteristics of turbos and superchargers are as follows.

Superchargers work "best" at lower engine speeds and tend to tail off in efficiency the higher up the rev range you go whereas a turbo is fairly opposite to that and only really gives gains after a certain engine speed (but will tail off really high too)

you still need things like the right fuel control for both, you still really need an IC for both etc.

SC's tend to cost mroe to install as you need to buy one first, then plumb it in, then get teh drive to it sorted + finding space in teh bay for it etc. whereas a turbo bolts nearly straight onto the engine and plumbing isnt a huge issue etc. swings and roundabouts. i guess it depends what you want from the engine..

Welsh Dan
09-06-06, 08:14 AM
You can fit both... :D

johnny27
09-06-06, 09:44 AM
usually said that chargers work best on larger engines. Due to it using engine power to gain power, don't know how significant this is tho.

Jack
09-06-06, 10:35 AM
^ on small engines, quite significant. The SC is belt driven so acts like another accessory on your engine, and on small engines (i.e. usually 2.0 and under, I say usually as an SC is a popular mod on the Gen7 Celicas, but thats more down the availability as a bolt on kit) its usually considered they don't have enough power to begin with to warrant the addition of an SC.

Incidentally, Nissan made a Micra (called the March on the continent iirc) whichh used the 930cc MA09ERT engine and dual-charged, i.e. Turbo + SC. Only made 110bhp/130Nm though, compared to the 1.0T Charade which makes 100bhp/126Nm!

http://www.carfolio.com/images/dbimages/zgas/models/id/12065/1989_march_st.jpg
mmmm, retro lol

Mike
09-06-06, 10:49 AM
what a car! lol

go get your shopping in this nan lol

CorsaCruiser
09-06-06, 11:05 AM
I know 2 guys who are going to put sc's on their C20XE nova's:

http://i1.tinypic.com/xfxai1.jpg

johnny27
09-06-06, 12:07 PM
they're more often see on V6 engines and of course the daddy, probaly the best engine every made the rover V8

Welsh Dan
09-06-06, 12:25 PM
probably the best engine every made the V8

;)

Stuart
09-06-06, 12:27 PM
no, the best engine ever made was the Merlin... deal with it :p

Welsh Dan
09-06-06, 12:29 PM
what a beast
http://www.bcam.net/engines/merlin/merlin1.jpg

:D

Mike
09-06-06, 01:01 PM
no, the best engine ever made was the Merlin... deal with it :p

well, opinion could differ depending on what you want. wether it be torque or power. Like the JZ engines found in supra's, brill for meage power bot a ?7k+ Vat from toyota for a new you wouldnt want to blow it!

The V-tec (honda Lsi's + type R's), thats a brilliant design for power along with rotary engines (RX7)

But yes the Rover V8 is possibly one of the best! :thumb:

johnny27
09-06-06, 03:13 PM
v8 rover is'nt very powerful in std trim. But can be tuned to big power and super charged. The main points are alloy sump. block, head. Extremely compact, very slightly wider than a r5 engine and lighter. Excellent for conversions, and extremely reliable

johnny27
09-06-06, 03:13 PM
so its not just about power, when i said one of the best

craig green
09-06-06, 03:37 PM
Nah best engine ever is the GM 13S......

gets coat.

Welsh Dan
09-06-06, 03:46 PM
/me starts a thread in GC.

leebo
12-06-06, 05:19 PM
cheers for all that, i will be maybe think of goin down the turbo route with a gsi engine. if i have read it rite somewhere else i will be able to use t40s too, so i will give that a go. the car is for general use and then the odd track day now and again.
cheers lads

Mike
12-06-06, 05:29 PM
hhhm, a turbo and T40 on a 1.6? It is possible but the gaskets in the DCOE's would need to be replaced with the little steel ones iirc?

draper
12-06-06, 06:04 PM
a turbo and T40 on a 1.6

sounds interesting does that

Stuart
12-06-06, 06:11 PM
tbh for the effort your going to go to to turbo the 1.6 just stick with putting the std inlet on and using a mappable ecu... T40's will be a total mare when turboing... but hey you do what you want lol.
but for a more reliable, better tuned better performing engine EFI is really the only sensible way to go with Turbos... but i bet your going to be doing it on the cheap and thats why you want carbs and then wonder why it goes bang all the time.... do it right first time ;)

draper
12-06-06, 06:12 PM
ill be fine, i own a headgasket shop lol

General Baxter
12-06-06, 06:15 PM
ill be fine, i own a headgasket shop lol

thats enough lol

leebo
13-06-06, 01:43 AM
tbh for the effort your going to go to to turbo the 1.6 just stick with putting the std inlet on and using a mappable ecu... T40's will be a total mare when turboing... but hey you do what you want lol.
but for a more reliable, better tuned better performing engine EFI is really the only sensible way to go with Turbos... but i bet your going to be doing it on the cheap and thats why you want carbs and then wonder why it goes bang all the time.... do it right first time ;)

i hear what your sayin and i will take your advice. if it dose happen then i will prob not carb it.

cheers for the solid advice man

lee