PDA

View Full Version : Electric windows

Anonymous
21-01-01, 06:51 PM
Theres a nova mk2 flair just arrived in the breakers yard!- its had a front smash and the interiors full of bastid brambles from coming in thru the windscreen,however, I have invested in some gardening gloves and gardenning cutty things( well, stole em off the old folks) and am ready to have a go at tackling it, what I am after is the electric windows,and naturally the door cards too.How easy is it to remove these bits and how easy is it to fit them?- the haynes manual has alot to answer for on some of these bits,thanx in advance

Anonymous
21-01-01, 07:01 PM
Ok, i also wanna know thi as my window winders r f**ked!!!
I've seen a kit for ?120, but i dont fancy payin that much!!

Dicko

Anonymous
21-01-01, 08:25 PM
get the central locking while your at it, you may as well fit the whole kit at once

Anonymous
21-01-01, 09:03 PM
I already have remote central lockin m8!!

Anonymous
21-01-01, 10:18 PM
can I fit much of the bits in my pockets?-I have had god knows how many freebies from the breakers( I have an ice cream tub of fuses for a start...)

Anonymous
22-01-01, 03:36 AM
I think you need the full winder mechanism - won't exactly fit in your pocket!
The motors may come off though, and fit onto your original mechanism, but I doubt it - I've not seen what the parts look like, so I'm not sure.

If you do need the whole mechanisms, you have to drill out the rivets that hold them in, and re-rivet them in to your car. Does your car have central locking?
The reason I ask, is that if it doesn't, you'll not have any wires running to the doors, so you'll have to drill holes in the door pillars, and the doors themselves, for the wires to go through. You'll also have to get the rubber water-proof tubing that the wires run through. If you've already got central locking, you can feed the electric window wires through the same rubber tubing, as the central locking uses.
I fitted an after-market kit, but I wish I'd fitted proper Vauxhall bits, as the kit was a pain in the arse to fit.
Make sure you get all the wiring loom for them, and being a MKII, you'll need the MKII centre console and switches, though you can probably make up a custom housing in your old console, to hold the switches.

The door cards are piss easy - just a couple of screws holding on the door handle, and the plastic trim around the door handle to remove, then it pulls off.

Anonymous
22-01-01, 10:46 AM
you need the whole electric window/central locking loom (it comes as one piece on the mk2) also the central locking control box from on the passenger under dash shelf

Anonymous
22-01-01, 01:42 PM
the flair had central locking and electric windows?? which one the 1.4 or 1.2 ??

Anonymous
22-01-01, 04:59 PM
I will try to get down there asap.It might work out cheaper if I take the whole doors,is there any difference between mk1 and mk2 door besides the crappy bumpstrips?