PDA

View Full Version : Best tyres?

Philsutton
06-06-06, 08:53 PM
Right any idea what tyres are the best for things like 1/4 miles? Im currently running p6000's on the front an i think ive reached the utter most limit to them, im looking that is quite a soft compound an doesnt take long to warm up so to speak. Also need to be road legal, any idea what those road legal slicks are?

dhdev (Oli)
06-06-06, 09:25 PM
BF Goodrich drag radials, thats what GAZ was running in the purple corsa that did 11.8.

theshandydrinker
06-06-06, 10:04 PM
i wouldnt use anything other than gf boodrich profiler G tyres on my nova, warm up straight away. awesome grip, in the dry and the wet, and aint bad on mileage. much better than pirelli which are designed more for mileage. yokos are to soft,the 021 pattern yokos are the only ones tha would be really effective which i use on the front of the rally car. toyo proxes t1s are also an option to consider. its all down to the condition on the day and how much you want to spend.

Jack
06-06-06, 11:33 PM
Toyo R888 are supposed to be good, and road legal iirc

dannyb
07-06-06, 12:19 AM
888s are road leagl but I don't like the look of them in the wet, an Elise at Goodwood was using them in wet conditions and it didn't look very amusing! Awesome on a light car in the dry though apparently.

benji
07-06-06, 07:03 AM
phil, do you want them for normal driving? or just for 1/4 mileing?

Stuart
07-06-06, 08:09 AM
as benji said... as that can change the whole game completely.

apparently those toyo 888's are great on track but for 1/4 miling they dont warm up fast enough

Yoko A021R tyres are ace. ive got a shredded set on wheels that fit the pug and they make a massive difference, plus they work really well in the wet. only issue is they last about a day lol.

as oli suggested, a drag tyre might be wise.
OR an uber soft tyre like the yoko A021R, or even super soft A032/048's

Philsutton
07-06-06, 07:28 PM
well it will be more for 1/4 miles, only thing is for totb they need to be road legal. Not got a problem swapping them at events ect.. I'll have a look into the ones suggest then.

benji
07-06-06, 10:16 PM
speak to chip and get the same tyres that they use. bf goodrich drag tyres i think.

Stuart
07-06-06, 10:41 PM
how are you taking part in totb? in chips vxl team?

benji
07-06-06, 11:19 PM
i think he's in 'team just novas' :)

Stuart
08-06-06, 07:52 AM
thought there was only one vauxhall team and any "invite" entrys of vauxhalls were also pushed into the team that chip has organised...

Philsutton
08-06-06, 06:40 PM
well ive already applied as an invited car, but chip has got me into the vaux team, think they have about 8 cars now. An by the sounds of it the some of the vauxhalls are going to do really well.

Most are using toyo 888's with gaz using the drag radials. Ive found the toyo's for 63 each so i reckon i'll order some of them when i get back off holiday, along with a uprated clutch, saab injectors and hopefully some form of different management. Also need to have a play with the suspension an get it set up nice for the handling part of it.

dhdev (Oli)
08-06-06, 07:32 PM
one of me mates just popped round in his CRX sporting a fresh set of R888's and they are soft as play dough, fookin marvelous :D :thumb:

benji
08-06-06, 08:18 PM
stu, as if just novas will have a TOTB team!! can't belive you belived me!!!

Stuart
08-06-06, 08:45 PM
didnt :p was wondering how phillis got in without mentioning that chip owns him lol