PDA

View Full Version : Forward and back movement in front wheels

doug_sri
06-06-06, 08:28 PM
I had an annoying noise coming from my car when I backed off the accerlerator at high revs which I have now sorted but in trying to figure out what it was I noticed there is quite alot of movement in my wheels when you kick them and wobble them as if a ball joint was damaged. I had planned to replaced both ball joints, track rod ends when I fitted my quikrack but its still there, I have checked for movement in the tie bar bushes and track control arm bushed but again there is minimal movement. It looks like the movement is from the shockers. I have ordered some 300lb springs from scooby2 on here so once they arrive I will have the shocks off the car. Could the movement be the top mounts being worn? If so does anyone know the cost of these? The car is a 1989 1.4 SR with an xe engine and no front anti roll bar.

Sorry for the essay!

sr-rompa
07-06-06, 12:37 AM
have u tryed the two bolts which hold the tie bar onto the bottom arm

craig green
07-06-06, 12:10 PM
When watching Nova's at Santa Pod its quite common to see the wheels flutter & move in the arches.

I reckon this is worn TCA (bottom arm) bushes & maybe Tie bar brkt bushes. These take a massive pounding under braking. Anyone expecting good handling from the original bushes should have a rethink.

Stuart
07-06-06, 01:02 PM
sure its rattling from the front end? could be the exhaust rattling...

doug_sri
07-06-06, 07:09 PM
sure its rattling from the front end? could be the exhaust rattling...

I cured the rattling, was the gear box touching on the front gearbox mount. Sounded like it was the exhaust but on closer inspection the exhaust is well clear of any of the body. About the bushes, i cant see it being them as I have looked and they all seem good but its the movement in the struts which I think looks excessive. All the bolts are tight.