sr-rompa
06-06-06, 12:04 AM
can any body help me with changing my cam belt plz

Adam
06-06-06, 12:28 AM
What do you need help with?

rm7745
06-06-06, 07:53 AM
You will have to slacken the alternator, and remove the alternator belt. Then remove timimg cover, and turn over engine until crank timing and cam timing marks are aligned. (It is important not to turn over engine once the marks are lined up and belt slack or off). And then losen the 3 water pump retaining allen bolts, and swivel water pump to slacken the belt, anticlockwise (usually). Then remove belt.
Place new belt around the crank wheel and water pump, and then the side of the belt that is nearest the front of the car needs to be pulled tight and slotted over the cam shaft. Now u can swivel the water pump back to tension the belt, and re-tighten the allen bolts. To know u have the right Tension, u should be able to twist the belt 90 degrees fairly easily..

It might be an idea to take out spark plugs and turn engine by hand to make sure nothing is catching, just incase u have placed the belt on incorrectly, and this saves an expensive mistake!!!!!
Just place alternator back on and wey-hey.
Hope this helps

SRlew
06-06-06, 10:01 AM
i havent got a clue about doing cam belts, mine needs doing, how do you actually get the lines lined up? looks like i could fook this up a bit easy lol

SRI crazy
06-06-06, 11:52 AM
wat engine is it ur changing the belt on?

Mike
06-06-06, 12:25 PM
SRlew's your is a 1400SR is it? and i take it sr-rompa's is to yeah?

SRlew
06-06-06, 01:25 PM
mines a 1400 sr yeah and i should imagine sr-rompas is to.

SRI crazy
06-06-06, 01:42 PM
does the 1400 not hav a tensioner between the water pump and the crankshaft?

rm7745
06-06-06, 02:18 PM
Im not sure mateys, they may have an automatic tensioner, i know the later 1600 do, so yes.
If so, i am not sure on that, i only build 1200/1300 engines for racin

Adam
06-06-06, 02:51 PM
Its usually 1992on that have the tensioner, so some late 1.4Sr's will.

Its a lot easier to change with a tensioner fitted, as you dont have to "attempt" to move the waterpump, which is most likely to be stuck solid.

Mike
06-06-06, 02:58 PM
Its usually 1992on that have the tensioner, so some late 1.4Sr's will.

Correct, 92> on SR engines have a tensioner and different ignition module/setup compared to older SR engines, bit of aditional info there for you! :thumb:

Its a lot easier to change with a tensioner fitted, as you dont have to "attempt" to move the waterpump, which is most likely to be stuck solid. True :thumb: Mk2 engines are the future for SR in afriad lol

Adam
06-06-06, 03:14 PM
Yup, with the tensioner, just lock the tensioner in its slackest position and slide the belt off, i changed mine in about 20mins(after struggling for an hour trying to get the crank bolt undone lol)

Mike
06-06-06, 03:35 PM
(after struggling for an hour trying to get the crank bolt undone lol)

Another classic nova plus point! Along with rust, dodgy electric windows and cr@p automatic chokes! lol