PDA

View Full Version : Where do you but your nova frnt wings

johnny27
03-06-06, 12:05 PM
I need a new pair of wings for my mk2 nova, as the previous owner had bodged on some really bad fitting pattern wings, so i def want two guinine GM wings.

Is there anywhere online other than vauxhall to buy 2 original GM wings?

Would like to get them as cheap as i can, but i know what vaux garge's aint cheap to order parts, for example i priced 8 rockers in my local GM for my 1.4sr nova, they where looking ?116 quid what a rip off, but it turns out i don't need them anyhow.
Cheers

Stuart
03-06-06, 12:07 PM
lol good luck with gm ones... lots of people are after them and they arent made anymore.

just use pattern parts and spend a little time getting them to fit right... i never had problems with mine.

johnny27
03-06-06, 12:41 PM
over on autovaux, if they sold wings would they be the pattern ones or GM NOS? cheers

TommySR
03-06-06, 12:45 PM
your best bet is probably on somehwre like here or MigWeb or eBay mate but they are like gold dust now!

Adam
03-06-06, 01:03 PM
Ye, you'll be lucky to find any new GM wings now, they do come occasionally on ebay.

I'd get some pattern wings, you might be lucky and get a goodish fitting set.

johnny27
03-06-06, 01:49 PM
Is there any companies making pattern parts with a good or decent rep for good fitting items.
I've looked on sel imperial but i have heard bad reports about dodgy fitting pannels

the current one's are dread full, about a good inch or more gap between passanger wing and bonnet. Plus both wings are sticking out alot at the door posts, it just really lets an otherwise good looking shell down. Thanks for your help. I will keep an eye out on ebay for a while.

Tim
03-06-06, 02:28 PM
why dont u just look for some mint 1s of a breaking novathey are about and they will be cheap as chips

johnny27
03-06-06, 03:30 PM
I doubt it would happen. Nova's are quite rare over here, including scrap yards. And the ones that are in scrappy's are usually knackered, as they've been there for a long time since no one really bother's with them, basically in scrap yard owner's view, they're wasting my space so waisting my money.
Also the chance's of finding even 1 driver's wing in good shape is slim, as you know its usually the driver's wing thats rotted or rusty on the top.

Tim
03-06-06, 05:56 PM
didnt realise u was in N Ireland , dont they have a postal system, haha

johnny27
03-06-06, 07:44 PM
well if you could call it a postal system lol I order all my parts from england, esically because in performance engine parts since they are soo rare here, and if they are avaible they're brand new or very over priced. Was thinking of just ordering the wings from a company in england, because a scrap yard would'nt usually have a mail order service and they would be unreliable.

Do you know of any companys that sell pattern Nova wings with a good reputation of good fitting pannels? although i don't know if all pattern parts company's in genral are not 100% guaranteed fit

draper
03-06-06, 10:35 PM
how bad are these reports youve heard about sel imperial ? im just about to spend a shtload of money with them on new panels for both my nova and the accident damaged corsa ive bought my missus, surely a "dodgy fitting panel" is down top whoever fits it ?

Stuart
03-06-06, 10:40 PM
my SEL pannels were "fine"

i think its down to how anally retentive you are lol

draper
03-06-06, 10:43 PM
i think its down to how anally retentive you are lol

lol must be, ill get back on the website and spank the bank account then !!!

johnny27
03-06-06, 10:49 PM
just have heard a few general comments on this board before about sel-imperial fittment on "some" pannels where not great. Although i'm slowly coming to the conclusion that with any manurfactor can make an indivdual bad fitting pannel, looks like "luck of the draw" I was just curious to know is there any companies out there with a particular good reputation, but am thinking it would be hard to say unless someone was to buy a few different pannels at different times and see if they where good. In that case the comments i heard in the past could be said about any pannels if you did'nt have any luck

Stuart
03-06-06, 10:53 PM
also shipping a pannel cant be easy... i mena they arent exactly strong so dinks and slight warps can be almost expected...

johnny27
03-06-06, 11:01 PM
thats very true stuart. Something like that would'nt really concern me, since in can be tapped out, and most pattern parts need a very light skim of fillers in places anyhow. What i am afraid of is the gaps between bonnet and wing and door and wing. As the current ones are quite bad in these area's and it dose'nt seem adjustable where the door meets the wing. As for the bonnets gaps, the drivers aint to bad, but the passanger ones is awful, and no adjustment with fil-ling the holes would help as its just lob sided. Just be a pitty to buy 2 more wings and they would'nt be much better than those at present
Although its seems that i'll have too do what is being hinted at here, just take the chance and hope i'm lucky thansks

draper
04-06-06, 07:12 PM
well, i was talking to the guy on the auto-vaux stall at PV today, he uses sel and has never had a problem ??

mikey14sr
05-06-06, 10:55 AM
Best thing to do with pattern parts is expect them to need some tweaking. Take a little time to make sure you're happy with the fit, you may need to adjust things like the folds along the top of a wing with carefull use of a hammer and wide, blunt chisel. As you say johnny some skimming may also be required.
At the end of the day the fit of a replacement panel is down to the time and care taken to line it up properly, this is the reason good bodyshops charge more and take a little longer to do things.

Matt2107
05-06-06, 01:23 PM
I brought two a wings from sel a while ago.

Drives side fitted like a glove, the passenger side needed a little adjustment.
It's pot luck whether you get a good one that needs no work or a **** one that needs more work.

Even if you have to spend a little time making them fit its more fun than watching **** t.v or something lol

benji
05-06-06, 04:30 PM
heritage vauxhall should be able to get you some, but they are crap to deal with and take ages to deliver.