PDA

View Full Version : Highest reving nova!

beavy69
31-05-06, 06:01 PM
Whats the highest anyone has had a nova reving?

Is it high lift long duration cams that get you higher revs coz more fuel goes in each time so it doen't run out of steam do quick? As 2.0l of fuel doesn't enter a 2.0L and it get less the higher the revs right?

Stuart
31-05-06, 06:07 PM
erm well russ's rally car use to go near 10K iirc but he sold that.

next highets id guess is CP's that goes to jsut over 8K at the mo. I intend to see 9K atleast once lmao.

the cam does help as with higher revs there is less time available for the air/fuel charge to enter the bores, therefore a wilder duration on the cams will help keep the right air/fuel combo going in at higher rpm.

basic example. Dan and Jims 1.6 8v engines are pretty much identicle bar the cams.
Dans has a Kent AST2, it makes tons of power/toruqe but when giving it bean it kinda rund out of intrest at 7Kish. whereas Jims on the piper BP300 cam pulls all the way to the limiter with no hesitation.

there is a trade off between top end pulling/revs and low down grunt.. eg if you want to run high rpm stuff you tend to have a gutless std engine till about 4K lol

hope that explained a little.
Oh and the bottom end has to be capable of high rpm. likt a lighten and balance, arp rod bolts, de seamed rods etc. And a shorter stroke helps for revablility

mowgli
31-05-06, 10:53 PM
I know that astra/nova challenge cars (1300cc limited mods) could reach 9000, but I'm sure they ran solid lifters & a spec cam.

My first 1.2 did well on the m40 when I sort of changed down not up at 85 & stripped the cambelt

novamadman
31-05-06, 11:16 PM
missed a gear in a 1200 one time im pretty sure it was high, rockers went in ****e lol

pro tec built a 14 16v engine running in the btrda championship not sure of the driver, its 207 bhp, cut out is set at 9500rpm "to be safe" according to allan lol

the engine was only expected to last 2/3 rallies tho lol

shane

beavy69
01-06-06, 12:13 PM
Interesting stuff cheers guys. Proper insight as usual Stuart

womble sri
01-06-06, 12:49 PM
mine revs 8k+ the needle stops a 7.5k but you can hear it still revvin hardcore. max power is at 7k though

Lee
01-06-06, 01:24 PM
my hard cut comes in at 7750 RPM, decided aginst the soft cut lol

When i get off my **** and purchace some rods, ill easily see over 8K but ill need a cam swap, and as stu says, that means my already poo low end grunt will become pooer still, but thats where the beauty of a DTA management system comes in.