PDA

View Full Version : engine change- m.o.t problems

toby.d
31-05-06, 02:10 PM
this is my first post so i hope i get it right.
im going to look at a nova tonight thats local to me,its had a few modifications so it looks alright, thing is its only a 1.2 and i need more speed.

im hopeing to convert it to 2.0 xe or gsi engine, but the thing is i want to know if anyone has had problems when it comes to mot time. when u get an mot do they check what engine that you have fitted or is it safe to do the conversion knowing that when i get an mot i dont have to swap the engines back over.
thanks

Adam
31-05-06, 03:28 PM
If you declare the engine to the DVLA and have the correct engine number/capacity on the logbook, then all is fine.

toby.d
31-05-06, 05:24 PM
thanks. iv noticed that alot of people still have thier cars registered and insured as the origanal engine even tho they have a bigger one fitted. does this bring alot of hasel when you have the car insured and mot'd
thanks

rednova
31-05-06, 05:36 PM
the engine itself isnt part of the mot as long as it passes emmissions etc and is obviously in good working order etc

Adam
31-05-06, 05:51 PM
/\
On the new system the engine number of the engine in the car has to match the details the dvla hold :thumb:

Philsutton
31-05-06, 06:56 PM
agreed the engine has to be on the log book data base in order to get a new mot. I had **** loads of trouble getitng mine mot'd as i had only just converted mine an hence wasnt a 2lt on the log book.

toby.d
31-05-06, 08:41 PM
ok cheers guys.i didnt purchus the nova in the end. turned out to be abit of a mess.i recon ill just aim to buy something with a bigger engine to start with and then play about with it. thanks:thumb: